Apollo 440 - dude descending a staircase

Discussion in 'General Music' started by julian2002, Jul 21, 2003.

1. julian2002

julian2002 Muper Soderator

having upgraded my system with the most effective upgrade yet (going into mvc and randomly selecting some cut price cd;s that i've never heard of before) i happened to pick up this one.
    never heard of it before and it seems to be quite new and as big fan of previous apollo 440 releases i thought i'd take a punt.
    so far it's very different, kind of old apollo 440 on mogadons with a bit of basement jaxx funkiness thrown in. i'm quite liking it actually and it's not irritating my headache. thinking about it and suspecting that apollo 440 are in fact a bunch of industry whores who's business model is sell every track to hollywood or the advertising industry i can see the motivation behind this as the order of the day seems to be groove armadaish chilled grooves. that doesn;t stop me liking it though.

also got the run lola run soundtrack for the princely sum of 3 quid. what an awesome slice of germanic techno this is definately one of the better soundtracks i've heard and the film kicks arse too.

other purchases haven;t stuck out as much but no duffers yet although the incredible string band was a bit 'different'.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 21, 2003
  2. julian2002

space cadet Far out...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure that the Apollo 440 singer used to be in some noisy indie band back in the 80s. Pretty sure it was Gay Bykers on Acid... He must have realised that didn't put much bread on the table!:D

space cadet, Jul 22, 2003
  3. julian2002

the only thing i remember about gay bikers on acid was their support band.. lesbian dope-heads on mopeds.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 22, 2003
  4. julian2002

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I had a nose through the MVC sale the other day and there's some good stuff in there. Quite a few of the things that fall into the catagory where in, you wouldn't mind having them, but tends to be something MOre appealing for your MOney. I had to resist as i'm still working through a few albums that haven't had a spin yet, and the "saving" factor.

Off the top of my head I remember seeing, (all for about £5) 2 or 3 boards of canada albums, leMOn jelly, cinematic orchestra remix album, herbalizer, and several others. I walked about the shop with a pile of about 10 cds before calling on reserves of self discipline and putting them back on the shelf :(

Apollo 440 have never really appealed to me, but saying that, I tend to switch off before really giving them a chance. However, I likes that there Basement Jaxx funk. Not really my prefered style of music, but the Jaxx do what they do very well!

MO!, Jul 22, 2003
  5. julian2002

mo,
    you've got better impulse control than i. however i hadn't bought any cd's for a while so that's my excuse.
    i got a boards of canada and would recommend that for a chilled jazzy style whilst if you haven;t got lemon jelly (either of them) get them now (imho)
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 22, 2003
Ask a Question