Apologies about the downtime yesterday

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by michaelab, Jan 6, 2005.

1. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

There was a bit of downtime with the forum yesterday which some of you no doubt noticed. This was due to planned maintenance by 34sp.com (upgrading admin software to Plesk 7.1) which I'd been warned about but I forgot to relay that warning here...sorry :shame:

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 6, 2005
  2. michaelab

robert_cyrus

another upgrade ? colossus and queeg are still on 6.1 i think. 7.1 any better then ?
    michael, do you use the 34sp backup facility at all ? i suffered big time when hal went awol beginning of december. luckily the 34sp bods managed to recover the server just enough to take a backup and copy over to colossus - otherwise the entire cyrusunofficial database would have been lost.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2005
    robert_cyrus, Jan 6, 2005
  3. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

I don't use the 34sp.com backup facility. I have a cron job run each day to dump the database, compress it and ftp it to space I have with a separate hosting company. Since I have a reseller account I escaped those problems with hal as all the reseller accounts are on a separate server (server2.xenserve.com)

Haven't checked out Plesk 7.1 yet, no idea what's supposed to be better about it.

Mike.

michaelab, Jan 6, 2005
  4. michaelab

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

As far as I am aware they have not yet updated my site to the new version, I just haven't been bothered to check. My site needs a total redesign which I am planning soon so I will check it out then.

amazingtrade, Jan 6, 2005
  5. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

OK, just checked it out. Plesk 7.1 is totally different. They've made it look like Windows XP control panel! Still, first impressions are that it's much more useable but it's hugely bandwidth intensive. Here in London I'm using 56Kbps dialup and Plesk is painfully slow :(

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 6, 2005
  6. michaelab

No doubt that bandwidth will eat into the monthly allowance as well. Probably won't be a problem. I should be more worried about the fact I am using my 34SP MySQL server for testing my final year project (uses a lot of bandwidth).

7. michaelab

Just got an email of them telling me to update PHPbb because the current one is out of date and has some security flaws. I guess the redesign needs be to sooner than I thought :(.

I must say I am very impressed with the customer service at 34sp.

Ask a Question