Apologies for downtime

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Telkman, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Telkman

Telkman Nurturing Malevolence

Sorry about the downtime this afternoon, network issues across our host's entire network slowed things down to the point that all sites were effectively left with no usable connection.

No full explanation as yet, but I'll keep you posted.

Telkman, Jan 29, 2006
  2. Telkman

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Funnily enough one of my sites has been down all afternoon too, its not hosted by the same data centres 34SP use by any chance is it?

amazingtrade, Jan 29, 2006
  3. Telkman

Telkman Nurturing Malevolence

Obviously spoke too soon with my initial post, as access pretty much vanished again afterwards for a couple more hours.

Looking for a better solution, but at the moment we're on a dedicated server taken care of by 34SP - turns out it was a DDoS attack against them - slightly worrying that it took them 8 hours to work that out and block it...

Telkman, Jan 30, 2006
  4. Telkman

Markus S Trade

Guys, you provide a free service and donate your time and ability. There's absolutely no need to apologize when the free service - and for reasons you have no influence over, to boot - is not available for a few hours.

Thanks for giving us ZG.

Markus S, Jan 30, 2006
  5. Telkman

auric FOSS

Mark,
    Excrement happens, but under your stewardship not very often. Thanks.

auric, Jan 30, 2006
  6. Telkman

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

The student site which I am a moderator of used to be attacked, they had to shell out on a rather expensive solution but then they found a host which provided all the protection software much cheaper so its now impossible to attack.

But that forum is ranked 176th in terms of the size of forums its growing daily so the hosting bill will be be huge.

I have always found 34SP to be brilliant considering the cost, my business site is hosted with them, luckily that wasn't affected, just my personal site was.

amazingtrade, Jan 30, 2006
  7. Telkman

robert_cyrus

same for me, poor old queeg and colossus ....

robert_cyrus, Jan 30, 2006
  8. Telkman

robert_cyrus

We are aware of the following issues affecting our service:

Network issues posted on 15:06 29/01/2006 (GMT)

Server:

Outage type: Unplanned

Updated: 22:10 on 29/01/06 (GMT)

We are currently experiencing problems with our core network. This problem is being investigated at this time and we hope to resolve the issue as soon as possible.

We are currently liasing with the technical team at our connectivity providers and are continuing to investigate the cause of this problem.

Network access has been restored - we are still looking into the causes of this with a view to preventing similar occurrences in the future.

The problem has re-occurred. At this time it looks as though we are being subject to a DoS attack and are doing all that we can to mitigate its effects.

The attack was blocked and all is now running as it should. We will be keeping a close eye on the situation.

robert_cyrus, Jan 30, 2006
  9. Telkman

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Just wondering are there a lot of DOS atacks going on right at the mo? A number of sites I use regularly have been doing the tarts drawers thing over the past day or so and now my own site has died (thought things were quiet).

Uncle Ants, Jan 31, 2006
Ask a Question