ARC and replacing caps

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tim F, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Tim F

Tim F

Hi all,

Another question for you fixers\modders... My ARC V140 monoblocks are from around 1996, I suspect that changing a few caps would be a good idea, any ideas if this is necessary at this age??

If so, how easy will it be to do this myself and how do I tell what type I need?

Thanks! Tim

Tim F, Jun 11, 2005
  2. Tim F

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

Tim

To be honest, if you have to ask this question then don't do it. You are potentially messing around with circuits that use 450 volts and one this wrong and bang, you may cause more problems.

If however you don't mind wielding a soldering iron then the PSU caps will be amongst the first to change, using something similar. Gains can be made by changing the coupling caps to good quality PIO or Mundorf's.

If most of the last paragraph made little or no sense, then I will say again, don't DIY.

LiloLee, Jun 11, 2005
  3. Tim F

Tim F

Who do you think would be a good person to ask about doing this work? Obviously without spending thousands!

Tim F, Jun 11, 2005
  4. Tim F

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

Have a word with bottleneck. I believe he knows somebody in your neck of the woods who can do this kind of thing.

LiloLee, Jun 11, 2005
  5. Tim F

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Tim

I use a very good and reasonably priced person near Milton Keynes.

I dont want to put his details up here, because his main line of business is supplying components to the audio industry (caps, resistors, transformers etc). He does the labour for me because Ive known him for 5+ years.

PM me if you want details.

He can supply and reccomend the caps aswell as do the fitting.

Chris

bottleneck, Jun 11, 2005
  6. Tim F

UpsideDown

Tim, how do you get on with the V140's? I have a pair plus LS5 on trial for two weeks feeding Quad ESL 63's. My usual amplifiers are Krell KSL pre and KST100 power amp.

UpsideDown, Feb 2, 2007
Ask a Question