Arcam Alpha 9CD upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by walkerwek1958, May 7, 2008.

1. walkerwek1958

walkerwek1958 walkerwek1958

I`m considering replacing my Arcam Alpha 9CD with something better. The rest of my system is Arcam A85/P85 amps and Castle Severn II speakers. I`m considering an Arcam FMJ CD36 or CD192, with the Alpha 9 taking its place in my second system. I`ve seen the FMJ CD36 for £699 new, which sounds like a bargain to me. The Alpha 9 sounded brilliant when I bought it and I`m not sure how much improvement to expect. I`d also like some suggestions for interconnects; my Qnect 2s are a bit below par for the system and I ought to replace them. All suggestions welcome!

walkerwek1958, May 7, 2008
  2. walkerwek1958

Tenson Moderator

Very little. You should only really bother changing it if you want a more lively, less 'round' sounding player, I think.

Tenson, May 8, 2008
  3. walkerwek1958

Dev Moderator

I agree with Tenson. I have an Alpha 9CD and not been tempted to replace it. I have compared it to more expensive players and DACs but didn't the "gains" were worth worrying about.

Dev, May 8, 2008
  4. walkerwek1958

RobHolt Moderator

A third vote in favour of keeping the Alpha 9.

The QED cables cannot be improved upon so you should also keep those.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2008
    RobHolt, May 8, 2008
  5. walkerwek1958

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Fourth vote in favour of keeping the CDP. I'd definitely definitely definitely change the amps though. All the Arcam amps I've ever heard have been painful experiences. Would a valve integrated be out of the question for you?

DT

Dynamic Turtle, May 9, 2008
  6. walkerwek1958

defride

Heres one to try? I had an Alpha 8se, terrific sound for pound and I'm sure the 9 sounds better - cleaner better definition? I moved on to a Copland 822, sweet and open but not a vast improvement. When that went wrong the dealer offered an 823 - what a difference! Suddenly the system thundered, bass exploded from the speakers and tonally the system seemed far more accurate, a different ballgame really - if you can suck the slow transport... ps the Wadia I run now is better still...

defride, May 21, 2008
  7. walkerwek1958

zanash

the 9's with the ring dac [?] are supposed to be well out ahead of the competition .....though if your going to through shed loads of cash at a cdp then you can get better !

zanash, May 22, 2008
Ask a Question