Arcam Alpha9 Cd no good for rock??

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tenson, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

I was just browsing eBay and came across this add for an Alpha 9

It says "This Cd player excels at jazz and classical but is not really a heavy rockers dream, more a nightmare I guess."

When reading this I thought 'hey I own an Alpha9 and mostly listen to rock!'

Now I am perfectly happy with my system so I doubt I'll change it, but I just wondered if any of you felt the same way about it? I think it sounds great, but maybe I am missing out and would really be better off with something better at rock music?

Anyway, I just thought it was an interesting comment...

Tenson, Apr 23, 2004
  2. Tenson

Saab

maybe he listens to Staus Quo,Kiss and Def Leppard?

Saab, Apr 24, 2004
  3. Tenson

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I thought the Alpha 9 was meant to be a pretty upfront, lively player? That surely would make it good for dance & rock...

PBirkett, Apr 24, 2004
  4. Tenson

Robbo

I would say the 9 has a smooth, warm sound with no digital nasties. It has a full, slightly fruity bass. It'll probably take the edge off all those hard edged 1980s rock recordings, which may or may not be a good thing, depending on your viewpoint.

Robbo, Apr 24, 2004
  5. Tenson

technobear Ursine Audiophile

What utter bollocks! The Alpha 9 is superb for rock. I wouldn't still have one after all this time if it were not so. It's true that it does smooth the nasty rough edges on some rock tracks but this is no bad thing and in no way detracts from the good stuff. The Alpha 9 has slam and thwack aplenty with heaps of detail and great transparency. It's a real all-rounder. It has a good command of rhythm and timing and also good soundstaging, imaging and 'air'. It does help if the rest of the system is up to revealing its talents of course. The sub helps enormously and so does the Trichord Powerblock.

Anyone who thinks the Alpha 9 can't rock is welcome to come round and be pinned to the wall. It's awesome :D

The guy selling this one probably has a weedy amp or speakers with kevlar cones or something.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2004
    technobear, Apr 24, 2004
  6. Tenson

Mark67

Re: Re: Arcam Alpha9 Cd no good for rock??

:eek: :eek: :eek: What's wrong with Kelvar Cones ?

My B&W 805 Sig's sound superb.

Mark67, Apr 24, 2004
  7. Tenson

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Re: Re: Re: Arcam Alpha9 Cd no good for rock??

Sorry Mark :shame: I'll bet your speakers do sound superb. They ought to for what they cost.

At less rarified price levels, kevlar is beaten for thwack and bass definition by carbon fibre . All in my own most humble opinion of course ;)

technobear, Apr 24, 2004
Ask a Question