Arcam tray alignment problem

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by batfink, Aug 12, 2004.

1. batfink

batfink

I've had my CD72 about 18 months now, and right from the start, the CD tray has always sat at an angle (apologies for poor photo - only had my camera phone to hand). The right side droops down and rests on the facia, whilst the left side appears to be higher.

I'm sure it has no effect on sound quality so it has never bothered me too much. However, since the addition of new speakers, I'm enjoying music more than ever and it's starting to bother me now.

Has anyone had/rectified this type of problem in the past that would know how I can correct the alignment (raising the right hand side of the drawer) ?

Cheers,
    batfink

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2004
    batfink, Aug 12, 2004
  2. batfink

Mb031162

Hi,
    I have exactly the same problem on my arcam cd72T!! I'm not particularly worried as it just seems to be the fascia which is wonky. The actual tray is level. Not a definitive answer but hope it helps :) .

Matt

Mb031162, Aug 12, 2004
  3. batfink

Robbo

Nice, constructive post there Gary.

Good one!

Robbo, Aug 12, 2004
  4. batfink

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Harsh but fair.

garyi, Aug 12, 2004
  5. batfink

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Not really mate, I think arcam is good value on sound and looks for the money.

Calling someone's kit crap isnt really fair or nice.

However, perhaps reasonable to point to potential problem with the quality control if new kit is being shipped this way.

I bet if Batfink contacted Arcam they'd fix it free of charge.

Have you contacted Arcam mate?

bottleneck, Aug 12, 2004
  6. batfink

sideshowbob Trisha

Gary, I distinctly seem to remember quite a few people reporting on the Naim forum that the pull-out door on their CD3.5s, 5s or CDXs started drooping after a while.

Cheap crap, would you say?

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Aug 12, 2004
  7. batfink

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I would have a think about things, and possibly edit your own post if you agree that your words could be seen as impolite.

I know we've all worked hard to make zerogain a place where people can talk about hifi of any value/type in a friendly environment.

Chris

bottleneck, Aug 12, 2004
  8. batfink

batfink

Looks like I missed the constructive post - has someone deleted it ? I get the general idea from the comments that followed though.

Not yet, I thought I would see if you guys had a quick DIY fix first. That'll be my next port of call though!

batfink, Aug 13, 2004
  9. batfink

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

"after a while" is not the same as "I've had my CD72 about 18 months now, and right from the start, the CD tray has always sat at an angle" though, is it?

Aside from whether it sounds "crap" or not (I've heard some pretty decent Arcam stuff - barring the A85 amp) I'd not have stood for that on a £100 Sony midi (I had this on my 1991 one, and it went back), let alone a ~£420 hifi seperate.

If it looked like that when I unpacked it, I'd have taken it back straight away.

domfjbrown, Aug 13, 2004
  10. batfink

batfink

Didn't notice it as much when I first got it. Maybe it got worse as time has gone on??

It would have been more hassle than it was worth to return it to the dealer - I bought it in the North-East (escapism whilst visiting the parents!), but live in the SE so by the time I noticed anything it would have had to be sent back via Parcelforce (or other) and I certainly couldn't be arsed with that! RRP was £450 at the time, but my powers of negotiation won the day (again) :MILD:

batfink, Aug 13, 2004
  11. batfink

Sid and Coke

I used to have a CD72 and must say that i thought it sounded pretty neat. I don't reckon that the build quality was quite upto what i expected, the unit had a very plasticky feel to it and i'm not surprised that your unit has developed ( or you've only just noticed ) this particular fault. One other thing to watch out for on these units in the flourescent display. Mine developed some dodgy elements that where quite a lot dimmer than the surrounding ones, this made the display look really ' broken' which it was . I had heard of the fault form other people ( probably over on HFC).I took the unit to an Arcam dealer and they sent it back to the factory to get the displal replaced FOC, they returned the unit to my door also ( maybe via the dealer though ? :confused: ). I believe that all Arcam gear has a two year warranty , examine your display carefully before this time is up.

FWIW,
    I know that Hi-Fi shows are crap and alledgedly the sound heard at them shouldn't be taked seriously, but; I went to one at Glasgow and Arcam gave one of the best demo's i'd ever heard at a show. It was even an AV demo not straight stereo, one of the strange things was it was the silences that really did it for me, they were showing whatever movie and you could taste the atmosphere, the equipment was really well set up by guys who knew their stuff and was most impressive. A few folk who went to the same show commented on it( on the forum ) independently at the time.
    By way of contrast just down the Hallway was two rooms full of Naim gear , the same hotel , the same room type and electricity supply, etc. It was positively the worst demo i've ever heard in my life, that so much expensive gear could be made to sound so bad was shocking. I just got up ( quietly) and left the room after about 4 minutes, my ears being unable to survive the onslaught any longer, and you probably know how cloth my ears are.
    By way of contrast I usually get my LP12 serviced by a local dealer and he always uses Niam amplification when I have a post Servicing listen in his listening rooms. The deck always sounds great and i would like to try some Naim gear out at some point in the future for a look-see. To say that Arcam gear is crap compared to Naim is nonsense, from my own experience i've had good and bad experiences of both brands.

Sid and Coke, Aug 13, 2004
Ask a Question