Are IQ tests such crap?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Sep 14, 2003.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I have just done the BBC Test the Nation IQ test and I wish I didn't.

My score was 76. I think this is party because I am party dylsexic and I am not a fast thinker I also panic in time limits. However I am so insulted.

I could tell you exactly how my local area is split into parmilmentary wards even though I don't consider myself to be iterested in politics, I could tell you off by heart that my area is 208 miles away to Victoria in London.

Oh well I guess I know I can write an ASP based website, find my way round any city, build any type of PC from a 1983 XT to a 3.5Ghz Athlon.

Still I am still very offended. :mad: :confused:

amazingtrade, Sep 14, 2003
  2. amazingtrade

Mr_Sukebe

Lets be fair, I don't think most people have a clue of what the definition of "intelligent" really means.

Still, maybe my own definition isn't very good either.
    I would happily argue that to be "knowledgeable" and remember a huge level of data is most certainly NOT the same as being intelligent.

From what I've seen, I would suggest that being truly intelligent is the ability to be able to "conceptualise" and logically analyse problems, preferable ones that are not simply based in reality.
    As soon as you bring into play reality, people with prior experience or knowledge will quite obviously score higher than those without.

Mr_Sukebe, Sep 14, 2003
  3. amazingtrade

NOS-4-A2 Creature of the night

My problem with a lot of these tests has been their ability to tell the difference between a good memory and a good mind. Philosophers have been pondering the problem for centuries so how can a simple test come to a reliable conclusion after a few questions?

NOS-4-A2, Sep 14, 2003
  4. amazingtrade

Paul Ranson

I'm too stupid to find the IQ test. I did the national test and scored 139 though.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Sep 14, 2003
  5. amazingtrade

BlueMax

People who can build a TNT Flexy deserve an IQ of at least 180.
    :MILD:

BlueMax, Sep 14, 2003
  6. amazingtrade

I got 90 on that test:mad: :mad: :mad:
    I am never going to be able to afford a house in Didsbury or Chorlton!:(

Lets just hope they don't do general knowledge quizes at job interviews! Its just not my day today on them tests

amazingtrade, Sep 14, 2003
  7. amazingtrade

GTM Resistance IS Futile !

I agree 100% ...

The vast majority of "IQ" tests are nothing more than tests of knowledge... A true test of intelligence would provide a score which came out the same no matter how many times you did the test.. even the Mensa test can to a certain degree be learned.. and you score improved. A true test of intelligence would NOT be age related in any way.

GTM

GTM, Sep 15, 2003
  8. amazingtrade

People tell me I have good emotional integence i.e being understanding to other peoples problems etc. Thats one thing that can ever be measured in an IQ test.

The main reason I struggled in that IQ test is because I am slow at maths, I can do maths, I only got a D at school but its improved a lot. I understood all the complex hexadecimal, binary (which is easy) codes for my TCP/IP module at an electrical level so I guess that involves maths.

I think my problem with maths is that I am really not interested in it, and when I see a sum such as the ones on the IQ test my brain justs goes to sleep.

My school did have a 12% pass rate at 5 A*-C's at GCSE and I was one of them, I did also get the highest grade in Manchester on my college course, I am amonst the top third at uni. So I consider myself to accademic, if not intellegent. . Maybe the two things don't go together.

amazingtrade, Sep 17, 2003
  9. amazingtrade

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Yes it can :)

I get a measly 118 on the emotional IQ, and on test the nation it was 118 as well - waaaaay too much emphasis on visual stuff, so about as useful as a chocolate teapot for blindos like me. On any other IQ tests online it comes out between 144 and 151, and our English teacher told us all of the fifth year group I was in were 140+.

That said, I'm pretty useless with numeracy and logic, and I'm not sure these tests are that reliable.

domfjbrown, Sep 19, 2003
  10. amazingtrade

chris.gally

I've just completed the Emotional IQ thingie and got 120.

I got most of the answers wrong (in their opinion) :confused: :confused:

Just reading into what it all means.

emotional perception is quite poor 5/10

Expression score is 6/10

Empathy score is 7/10

Emotional Management 8/10 (yeah right, they dont know me :grrr: )

Chris

:confused: :confused: :confused:

chris.gally, Sep 19, 2003
  11. amazingtrade

cookiemonster

IQ tests were born in the shadow of eugenics, and even their contemporary application, interpretation and perception is no less irrelevant than eugenics was harrowing.

cookiemonster, Sep 19, 2003
  12. amazingtrade

Nepherim Deep Purple Flactulence

It's also extreemly culturally bias. Asian, Arab, and westerners would all see the first picture of the woman differently.

It's also forcing you too choose between extreems, where if you had a free range you'd select something entirely different:
    Pic2: The man looks frustrated to me, but that's not an option -- none of the others are close.
    Pic3: The kid is plainly faking an emotion, opening up a range of interpretations.
    Pic5: looks confussed, again no option for that.

Anyway I'm on 119.

~ ~ Dave

Nepherim, Sep 19, 2003
  13. amazingtrade

michaelab desafinado

I got 123 on the IQ test, haven't bothered with the others. That IQ test is a load of bollox though. For a start it's maximum is set at 146 (well, 145.9) which means that it will give lower scores than "traditional" IQ tests which go well above 150.

I worked that out (clever me!) because I got a "score" of 59 out of a possible maximum of 70. 123 * 70/59 = 145.9

Can't be arsed with the other tests.

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 19, 2003
Ask a Question