Are the Pre-outs on my Pioneer 2011 Poor Quality ?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by markabuckley, Mar 15, 2007.

1. markabuckley

markabuckley

connected to a Rotel 985 MK II Power amp

get a low level but slightly annoying "whine"/hum noise - too high pitched for 50Hz noise (I think) - not sure how to describe it - but its not a clean sounding hiss.

For one channel say- Remove interconnect from Rotel - noise gone

Rotel on - interconnect still connected - but Pioneer off - noise gone

Rotel on - Pioneer on - annoying whine

Does this just mean the pre-outs are of rubbish quality then ? or anything I can do to improve things ?

Tried plugging each into different mains sockets - and same problem.

thanks for any help,

Mark.

markabuckley, Mar 15, 2007
  2. markabuckley

markabuckley

well I've removed 60% of the whine - was a Strontronics PSU that powered the IR converter into the TIVO box.

even with this small PSU not plugged into the converter - still gave all the noise out of the speakers - so must have been very poor quality ..

I then tried another PSU - worked fine - with no noise - but somehow and I have no idea how (PSU was right rating, right polarity etc etc) - I caught the metal case of the converter - green flash - converter no more ...

every cloud has a silver lining though - as I found a different code to use on the TIVO and I found I don't need the converter anyway..

now to find the other guilty party - will try not to blow the next one up though !

Mark.

markabuckley, Mar 15, 2007
  3. markabuckley

zanash

zanash, Mar 16, 2007
  4. markabuckley

markabuckley

thanks Zanash - unfortunately its an AV amp - so would be missing out a bit with a passive pre-amp :( :)

one of lifes compromises I suppose since I listen to 90% films 10% 2 channel stuff

while you are on here Zanash :)

I keep thinking I should modify my Toshiba DVD player for 2 channel playback - apparently its got great Upsampling DAC (well I think they are anyway - they are Analog Devices AD1955s -uses all 6 in 2 channel mode) but spoilt by the worst ever op-amps :( - NE5532 :(

insides look well built to me anyway - the 2 channel just doesn't seem to cut it - due to the op-amps perhaps -I'm not sure ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2007
    markabuckley, Mar 16, 2007
  5. markabuckley

markabuckley

I think I'd better start a new thread on this one ! in DIY

markabuckley, Mar 16, 2007
  6. markabuckley

markabuckley

yah - and found the remaining 40% of my hiss/hum on my speakers ..

unfortunately not such an easy one this time - is the BFD P1124P :(

used to equalise my sub - but hum/noise is on my main speakers.

turn off the BFD - and silent as a mouse - not even any hiss :(

must be a ground loop - but any ideas how to remove please without (1) removing earth which is not very safe or (2) spending a fortune on a transformer ?

thanks, Mark.

markabuckley, Mar 17, 2007
  7. markabuckley

markabuckley

bit like a monologue ..

but found a fix - seems "commoning" the ground works - if I put the end of a piece of speaker cable onto one of the AV Amp's chassis screws, the other on the chassis of the BFD - noise gone completely - presumably this will do no harm ?

thanks, Mark.

8. markabuckley

Tenson Moderator

Try disconnecting the earth at one end in the interconnects that connect the equaliser to the pre-amp.

Tenson, Mar 17, 2007
  9. markabuckley

markabuckley

just tried that - to no avail :(

tried doing the ground to ground connector properly - wire connected to case of BFD and "ground screw" on AV amp ...

guess what - didn't work this time !

very finnicky - touch the wire on the any of the Pioneer AV amp chassis screws, and the ground hum disappears or gets worse - depending on how hard you push/how good a connection you get to the screw ! and its not the harder the better either - a really gentle - hardly touching is the one that completely removes the hum - but its obviously not possible to fix it like that all the time.

any ideas please ? thanks, Mark.

Ask a Question