Are you correctly insured

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lhatkins, Aug 20, 2004.

1. lhatkins

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

Note to Michael / Modorators, feel free to move this one in to "chat" if you feel it blongs there.

Hi

Just read the "Cost of Software" and "RRP value of your system?" threads

My cd collection is about 90-100 cd's so £900 - £1k's worth maybe, which is about 1/3rd of my "still boxed" hifi setup.

But Robbo brought up an interesting point there though, insurance, have you guys checked your policies, when I moved house I when through the insurance details and found even with my "low end" system, it was well under insured, you have to read the small print for items like "each item upto £1000" so you have a amp that's £5k will not be insured.

I questioned my insurance company about this and asked how much it would cost to raise the limit, it basically doubled my premium, needless to say I did some ringing around to get a better deal and the Halifax did me a policy which included items up to £2k which covers me ok for the moment, and it was a cheaper quote!

Also look at total contents my last cover only went to £20k, sounds a lot, I thought that was ok but if you do a quick list off all the stuff in your house I soon exceeded this.

Note to self "Always read the small print!" (or in my case get someone else to read it).

Your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2004
    lhatkins, Aug 20, 2004
  2. lhatkins

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

I think I am, but Boncaster are very reticent at any kind of correspondance (I STILL haven't received a direct debit mandate from them for my last address's insurance, let alone this one), so I'm not holding my breath.

domfjbrown, Aug 20, 2004
  3. lhatkins

michaelab desafinado

Yep - my HiFi and CDs were specially itemized on my contents insurance. It was when I did that that I first realised how much 500 CDs (which isn't a lot by the standards of many here) would actually cost to replace :eek:

Michael.

michaelab, Aug 20, 2004
  4. lhatkins

blakeaudio

does anyone have an insurer that is particularly au fait with hi fi? just wondering if there were any specialty insurers...

blakeaudio, Aug 20, 2004
  5. lhatkins

mjd

I have my house and contents insured with L & V with a total of £25,000 for Hi-Fi/TV. CDs are under general as each one is a seperate item, thank goodness as I have over 1500. Cost was cheaper than last year and cheaper than any one else I contacted. I'm also insured for accedental damage due to the grandchildren and new for old. Could be interesting as they don't make my amp any more!!!

Mike :)

mjd, Aug 20, 2004
  6. lhatkins

titian

My house and contents are insured so I don't have any worries...

titian, Aug 20, 2004
  7. lhatkins

juboy

There speaks someone who's never made a claim :D

I actually had to make my first claim in seven years two weeks ago due to a flood and my experience of Legal & General's buildings and content insurance service has been pretty much the same appalling treatment as is metered out by the car insurer I use.

But of course, and as they're forever trying to convince us, they don't make any money out of their business so what should we expect :rolleyes:

As lhatkins says, it's always worth checking with your insurer exactly what they would plan to do should the worst happen. You might be quite shocked at their response...

juboy, Aug 23, 2004
Ask a Question