area for teenagers

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by johnhunt, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnhunt

johnhunt recidivist

how about a seperate area for teenagers, or people who act like them, to dicsuss things like '' how much sex....'' and '' what do women want.........''

johnhunt, Jun 16, 2005
  2. johnhunt

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

That is the purpose of the "Chat" forum... If we start breaking up the chat section into various forums we'll have one for politics, one for religion, etc and they'll dwarf the hifi section which is the forum's raison d'etre.

I-S, Jun 16, 2005
  3. johnhunt

mr cat Member of the month

do you want a bowl of milk, sir..?

mr cat, Jun 16, 2005
  4. johnhunt

rsand I can't feel my toes

If you don't like a thread don't read it, that what I do?
    This issue always comes up time and time again on every forum.

rsand, Jun 16, 2005
  5. johnhunt

johnhunt recidivist

you're right, i'll try not to read infantile BS

johnhunt, Jun 16, 2005
  6. johnhunt

Dev Moderator

FWIW, I think there are too many negative threads in the chat forum.

Dev, Jun 16, 2005
  7. johnhunt

michaelab desafinado

I tend to agree with johnhunt and Dev. The chat area seems to be dominated by infantile BS and negative "political" threads designed purely to wind people up and generate a lot of bad feeling - even hate :(

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 16, 2005
  8. johnhunt

Lord .

I agree Michael.

Perhaps the 'Chat' forum should be renamed 'The Daily Mail' forum?
    It could then have sticky topics to cover immigrants, foreigners, teenage mothers, chavs, etceteras!

A separate forum called 'Lads Mag' could cover all the infantile topics left over.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2005
    Lord, Jun 16, 2005
  9. johnhunt

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

I agree with the general tenor of this thread (pun intended ;)). Surely that fact that it is called "chat" doesn't make it open season on every kind of offensive bullshit? If one were a pub landlord one would have every right to limit certain conversations - there are innumerable better-suited places to express some of the opinions we sometimes see here. One can ignore whole threads, sure, but it's not always so clear cut. Plus simply leaving a thing alone (not saying anything) can give a aura of complicity to the whole of zerogain. To draw a parallel with politics, it can be very dangerous to simply keep quiet and let the extremists do all the talking. Plus, the place can gradually become the kind of place one doesn't want to associate with, bit like having a kid's room in your favorite pub where you know underage drinking goes on (or worse) but the landlord asks you to turn a blind eye.

SteveC, Jun 17, 2005
  10. johnhunt

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Ok...

So what do you want to see... would you rather have two chat forums (a serious discussion forum and a banter forum) or increase the level of moderation in the chat forum?

I-S, Jun 17, 2005
  11. johnhunt

Stuart

Well said Michael and others. I feel that a petty, negative and reactionary undertone has been creeping into this place for a while now.

A little self moderation and tolerance from some quarters would go a long way.

Regards,

Stuart.

Stuart, Jun 17, 2005
  12. johnhunt

Joe

Who gets to decide what's serious and what's banter? If there's to continue to be a non-hifi area in ZG, I think you have to cut some slack about what's said in there. That said, I've seen comments here (and in the hifi forum) that are clearly libellous. Maybe a 'three strikes and you're out' rule, with the moderator's decision being final?

Joe, Jun 17, 2005
  13. johnhunt

Dev Moderator

I think I'd like to keep the forum as it is, but ask the posters pay more attention to AUP, with particular regards to how they treat other members and to bear in mind that their comments are read by a wide variety of members, some quite young, a lot overseas etc. Dare I mention a modicum of decency?

Dev, Jun 17, 2005
  14. johnhunt

Stuart

Isaac,

I don't think anyone has a problem with having an off topic/chat area, indeed it has for a long while been one of the nicer aspects of Zerogain. It is more a question of what is discussed/expressed. What concerns me is the increase in the number of threads that degenerate into, or increasingly commence as, statements to the effect that 'I don't like X so all people who exhibit or belive in characteristic X ought to be subjected to a nasty drawnout and painful death'. It's just a lot of ill considered, narrow minded nonsense. Possibly outright hatred.

Possibly a little bit of 'coaching' via PM from the moderation team to some posters could help things along; however, it is also up to those of use that are uneasy with this stuff to step in from time to time and try to counterbalanc with a more tolerant/positive view from time to time.

Regards,

Stuart.

Stuart, Jun 17, 2005
  15. johnhunt

T-bone Sanchez

I have to agree with Stuart on this one. I came from hi-fi choice forum after coming in for alot of stick about my budget hi-fi gear, this became quite abusive and the 'click' closed ranks. No matter what was said it was always a case of Im right your wrong.

I dont think this is something that can be stopped, there will always be those who welcome a discussion on a subject and those who just want to shout about why they're right. I do think alot of what posted in the off-topic section is tounge-in-cheek and is intended to generate a reaction, its upto the individual to react or ignore.

The one thing that does concern me is the level of abusive language thats appearing on here, only yesterday one of my replies was classed as bullsh*t! That to me isnt acceptable and I do think a level of moderation is needed here.

Ultimately, this forum is a broad church and long may it continue to be so. Im sure as a result of this many like myself have benefitted immensly and will continue to do so. However, we are dealing with 'adults' here and no matter what is done some people wont like it.

T-bone Sanchez, Jun 17, 2005
  16. johnhunt

rsand I can't feel my toes

I have to say I like it the way it is, we are all adults and have the choice to join a thread or leave it, for example I don't want to discuss my sex life on a forum but happy to express my political views, right or wrong.

What I don't like is personal attacks (humourous ones asside) which is uncalled for IMO, the answer I guess it to report those posts imediately, I haven't cause I stopped being bothered about persicution at school, however in future I will I think its in the interest of the forum?

I like the comunity here, and comming from Hi fi choice its a breath of fresh air, I looked in for the first time in months the other day and couldn't believe they are still bickering like infants about cables... why?

rsand, Jun 17, 2005
  17. johnhunt

johnhunt recidivist

I'm glad the liberal side of ZG is showing its colours.

I don't think there need to be more moderation or coaching . Although I do think when views are expressed that are abhorent they should be challenged and I normally do and i would call on others to do the same.

Threads called 'how much sex do you get?', 'why don't women find whinging immature hifi obsessives attactive?', or 'i don't know which way is up when it comes to women?' should be ignored.

johnhunt, Jun 17, 2005
  18. johnhunt

MartinC Trainee tea boy

For what little it's worth I've never been bothered by any of the threads in the chat section. We're all perfectly free to ignore those that don't interest us or irritate us. If I go to a pub with friends I wouldn't like to think there's an agreed list of things we're able to talk about and not others, and think it's good if the Chat section is the same.

MartinC, Jun 17, 2005
  19. johnhunt

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

Sorry you feel like that John, it just seems like idle chit chat to me, must mean I'm a teenager then, hey I can live with that.
    I find it entertaining, a little light releif from the boardom of work, I don't want to see this forum turn in the the PC brigade 'watch what you say' nanny state, com'n have a sense of humor.

There is a lot of negitivity around, but when you cooped up in a stuffy office with nice weather outside, board out your mind, somethings gota give!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2005
    lhatkins, Jun 17, 2005
  20. johnhunt

MartinC Trainee tea boy

If people really are bothered by some of the sillier chat threads (how much sex do you get etc.) I suppose the role of the kindergarten could be expanded to have these moved there? Rather having yet another section?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2005
    MartinC, Jun 17, 2005
Ask a Question