Armstrong 600 Series

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Arkless Electronics, Aug 26, 2024.

1. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics

I like these. Great styling, good performance, quite innovative engineering at the time but a few known "stock faults" which can be got around.

What do others reckon to these?

Arkless Electronics, Aug 26, 2024
  2. Arkless Electronics

Sergeauckland

Yes, agreed. Always liked their styling and performance OK. Never as popular as Leak, although I thought Armstrong's SS amps were better engineered. One step down from Quad.

S

Sergeauckland, Aug 27, 2024
  3. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics

I'm not so sure about the less popular than Leak bit. They were heavily advertised, widely available, got good reviews and were eventually sold by Comet. They were made for about 7 years and I get the impression they sold in large quantities. Quite how they compare with Stereo 70/Delta 70 in total numbers sold I couldn't say but I would guess similar. The Leak amps were made for approx 8-9 years, covering both the original and delta versions, but the Delta 75 receiver for only around 3-4 years and, although IMHO the Delta 75 is probably Leaks finest hour in solid state units, I don't think they sold particularly well. I see maybe 10 amps and tuners for every 75 receiver from Leak. The 2000 units were spoiled by the truly awful sounding amplifiers/amplifier sections of receivers but both the amps and tuners in the 2000 series were very technically advanced for the time and in fact just as high tech (maybe more so even) as Japanese units.

For a comparatively small UK company to have designed and developed such a complicated, fine performing, compact and stylish (B & O influenced maybe?) unit at the time (released 1973) seems impressive to me. They were not without their faults though... a few of which were proper "howlers", some other design choices which no doubt seemed a good idea at the time but came back to bite them.

Arkless Electronics, Aug 27, 2024
    Sergeauckland likes this.
  4. Arkless Electronics

Sergeauckland

I'm assuming you know about Jim Lesurf's web site, but if not,
    https://audiomisc.co.uk
    He worked at Armstrong for a while, and has documented much of their product range, including circuits.

I'd like to get my hands on the 220/225 or the 300 series, just for the looks.
    S

Sergeauckland, Aug 27, 2024
  5. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics

Yes I know Jim from pfm etc but thanks anyway:)

I quite like the styling of the 400 range, especially the receiver with the round tuning dial. IIRC there were issues with this round dial which resulted in a redesign which became the electrically identical but more conventionally styled 500 series.

Arkless Electronics, Aug 27, 2024
Ask a Question