Astonishing CD tweak? Zanash do try this!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by larkrise, Jul 14, 2007.

1. larkrise

zanash

Thats fine .....then they can't come on and say it can or can't work as they do not know. Worse they are unwilling to even find out and to top that they then tell people not to try it too ....a sort of censorship by intimidation and bulling.

we are only talking of the tiniest smear of cream not gallons, not pints, not deciliters, not cc,not mls, even a petite pois sized blob equavalent it's to much ! just 2-3mm dia blob ....it even wipes off afterwards. You only need do one cd ....

I would not have commented if I thought it would damage a cd, or the player .....you do run the risk of getting soft silky skin on one digit....

As I've said I don't need to do this as I can get the same effect by a different route...but I did try it, so I am speaking from first hand experience unlike some.

No the real reason [imo]is that it challenges there [often] sincerely held beliefs ....and that once you got your hifi out the box your not allowed to touch it ..how ever bad it sounds. Till you go back to the dealer pay him another fat wad of cash to make a decision for you ..and the cycle repeats .
    [this of course is entirely my own opinion, which the last time I looked I'm allowed to make even if some people will disagree vociferously to the point of rabidity]

zanash, Jul 18, 2007
  2. larkrise

zanash

or it doesn't work ...for you
    or it doesn't work at all
    or you can't hear it
    or cdp is imune
    or any other of the myriad of possible reasons.

but you need to try it before you can speculate....thats the important bit.

zanash, Jul 18, 2007
  3. larkrise

Andy registered grazer

Howie, welcome to ZG hope you enjoy it.
    Pete, don't get yourself into a flap mate your efforts are best spent constructively elsewhere.

I haven't tried smearing anything on my cds for the simple fact that i don't want to damage my aging old Cd63 but if it works, i put it down to one or both of these possibilities.

1. As someone mentioned earlier, the cream may stop the laser seeing the printed side of the cd.

2. The cream adds extra mass to the cd, making the speed more stable thus less errors, jitter etc.

couldn't both of these results can be arrived at by different methods, ie the copper foil cover or similar on the cd printed side with less chance of damaging the player and would be easily interchangeable between discs?

Andy, Jul 18, 2007
  4. larkrise

la toilette Downright stupid

The crux of the matter for me is that it is entirely irrelevant whether this works or not, as I will never ever start smearing hand cream on my cd's. So, whether there is a genuine improvement or not, I simply don't care. Try it if you want, tell me it works if it does, I'll take your word for it, but I'm never going to do it.

I mean, assuming it makes a real and noticeable improvement, are you going to cream up all your CD's? No, I don't think you are!

la toilette, Jul 18, 2007
  5. larkrise

zanash

don't worry its the pills .....

I agree ....but if you don't try it how can you comment on its effect [not that you have ] ?

zanash, Jul 18, 2007
  6. larkrise

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

No - personally I am not either, too messy too much trouble and I made that point in a post - but those that cannot read missed it. All I ever asked was can you hear a difference - plain and simple? Try it if you like, don't even think about it if concerned re your kit. Me - I tried it once and unfortunately the music was improved - unfortunately because I'm not running my hi-fi with a pot of hand cream and a roll of kitchen tissue! Now - that doesn't make me sound too strange does it? If it does then lets forget about imagination and fun in hi-fi.

Off to speak in tongues.

larkrise, Jul 18, 2007
  7. larkrise

melorib Lowrider

I also didnt try it, and wont try it, even the "paper" disc (CD-mat they call it), I only used rarely, (with lathed discs it doesnt improve sound anymore), that is no reason to insult those that tried it...

melorib, Jul 18, 2007
  8. larkrise

DavidF

No reluctance to change here, Antonio!! ;)

You might be surprised!

DavidF, Jul 18, 2007
  9. larkrise

melorib Lowrider

Surprise me...

melorib, Jul 18, 2007
  10. larkrise

DavidF

I agree....

"....but if you don't try it how can you comment on its effect [not that you have ] ?"

you can't!

I draw the line at this one.

DavidF, Jul 18, 2007
  11. larkrise

DavidF

its in the post....

DavidF, Jul 18, 2007
  12. larkrise

tones compulsive cantater

Well, there's really no arguing with that bit :D (IMMHO, naturally).

tones, Jul 18, 2007
  13. larkrise

Stereo Mic

1. I am mentally sound and not in need of medication

2. I have a life that is both fulfilling and busy.

There's two perfectly good reasons not to try it.

Not only would I not waste my time, I consider it my duty to attack the idiots putting forward such delusional theories on Zerogain and turning it into a comedy show.

You are wrong as usual Antonio. Lunatic theories like these are simply excercises in controlling the psyche and empowering the sub concious by wacko "cult" leaders like Belt and his followers. To be suseptable to this form of suggestion is both weak and could be a threat to one's wellbeing if you were to fall into the wrong company. Those of us who mock, are simply less open to being groomed than others. Your reaction is fairly typical of a cult member having his belief structure questioned.

Stereo Mic, Jul 18, 2007
  14. larkrise

melorib Lowrider

Your last paragraph describes exactely your reaction, not mine, unlike you, I have an open mind...

melorib, Jul 18, 2007
  15. larkrise

melorib Lowrider

Get that... :confused:

melorib, Jul 18, 2007
  16. larkrise

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

"Mein Feuhrer . . . .I can walk!!!!!"

Dr Strangelove
    Stanley Kubrick

larkrise, Jul 18, 2007
  17. larkrise

ADPully

Quote"I consider it my duty to attack the idiots putting forward such delusional theories on Zerogain and turning it into a comedy show"

Thats your opinion. For me the zerogain forum tweeky posts are all the worse through agressive sounding contributions.

Andy

ADPully, Jul 18, 2007
  18. larkrise

Stereo Mic

yep.

Your point being?

Where does he mention smearing creams?

Yep you sure have a mind open to suggestion.

Stereo Mic, Jul 18, 2007
  19. larkrise

melorib Lowrider

I do have a mind open to suggestions, unlike you...

melorib, Jul 18, 2007
  20. larkrise

Stereo Mic

The success of Pink Fish Media and Audio Asylum (to name just two) would tend to suggest that view is at odds with reality. So probably one held by a few on this thread.

Stereo Mic, Jul 18, 2007
Ask a Question