At 150 Mlx

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by keith, Oct 22, 2005.

1. keith

keith

Hi folks.

Thought you may be interested in hearing about this MM cartridge, bought recently (from US) to replace an aging -- I know that feeling :( -- 'Linn K18 mk2'. It retails in US for $399-499 depending what site you look at, but can be found for as low as c.$270.

Whilst the sound has a family similarity (the 'Linn' deriving from 'Audio Technica'), there is a great increase in subtle detail, and a smoothing of the treble previously rather sharp. Tracking is also more secure, coping with e.g. 1st-issue 'Sheffield Labs'; Hardenberge/Hummel trumpet concerto - the 'Linn' was edgy.

Most folk will recognise that reaction to an improvement in their music player - the inane grin that creeps over as you rake out the old vinyl and re-listen, noting detail you don't recall hearing before :eek: .

[t/t = 'Ariston RD80SL'; arm = 'Alphason H100S']

keep the phase
    keith

keith, Oct 22, 2005
  2. keith

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

hi keith

welcome to zerogain!

congratulations on your new cartridge, it sounds like it is really working for you.

why not 'join the club' so to speak, and put your stuff up in the sticky thread at the top?

nb
    it sounds like you like classical music - do check out and contribute to this part of the forum, its a small but select part! :)

bottleneck, Oct 22, 2005
  3. keith

keith

Thanks for the warm welcome. Some forums can get a mite 'precious', but this one seems very helpful and convivial (whatever that means ;) ).

I'll copy the spreadsheet of my system into the 'sticky' slot as you suggest. It's a hotchbotch built up over 20+ yrs, but I'm happy with the way it's going...

One aim is to eventually have ALL connections based on silver, which seems to suit the setup and the ScanSpeak 9500s that I've put into my TDLs (the original metal domes much too sharp). I notice there are 1-2 folk who experiment with making silver cables so sounds useful :crazy: .

keep the phase
    keith

keith, Oct 22, 2005
Ask a Question