ATC opinions

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by eagle, Mar 16, 2004.

1. eagle

eagle

What do people here think of partnering the ATC CA2 with the Rotel RB1090 and JM Labs Cobalt 816 Speakers.

I am currently using a Rotel RC971 which, I think is limiting the sound.

I can't seem to find ATC pre amp on the secondhand market, I will also be adding an outboard DAC to my Pioneer 656.

I thank you

eagle, Mar 16, 2004
  2. eagle

penance Arrogant Cock

did you see my thread about my games with a 1090 last weekend, a decent cable made one hell of a difference.
    But that aside, id be interested in hearing other peoples opinions on this aswell, when i get my cabling sorted a good pre is next:D

penance, Mar 16, 2004
  3. eagle

eagle

Yes I did Penance and I did contribute to the thread and it is good to see that you are finding some joy in solving your problem.

In my case I do like my RB1090, I just think using a Rotel RC971(one of Rotels basic preamp ) does not bring out the best in them because I have used the Bryston SP1 with the 1090s and the difference was clear.

Due to financial reasons I had to sell the Bryston, but am back in the market to get a better preamp+DAC or get a CD player with a pre or digital volume control (hence my outboard DAC thread).

Oh! and another thing, I want a remote controlled pre :D (lazy sod!!)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2004
    eagle, Mar 16, 2004
  4. eagle

sideshowbob Trisha

The CA2's an excellent pre IMO, worth waiting for one to come up secondhand, I've owned some far more expensive preamps that aren't a patch on it. The outputs are XLR (although it's not balanced), so you'd have to make or buy XLR->phono cables to connect to a power amp without XLR inputs. I use my with ATC actives, but it works really well with a Leak Stereo 20 as well. Can't see any reason why it wouldn't work with most things. Very good headphone out too, sensible number of inputs, looks cool, cheap even at the new price. What more could you want?

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Mar 16, 2004
  5. eagle

eagle

Actually am lucky, the RB1090 has XLRs although it not a balanced design either.

eagle, Mar 16, 2004
  6. eagle

dunkyboy

Yup, I can second the CA-2 recommendation, and will also say that you're probably on the right track as far as upgrading the preamp - it makes a surprising impact on the sound. The ATC is very clean, clear, neutral, and high resolution. It's not euphonic but it doesn't muck up the signal either. It does what preamps are supposed to do - get out of the way. I've heard it said several times that it approaches the performance of ATC's top of the line £3.5K SCA-2 preamp, which is amazing considering the price.

I've seen it a number of times on the secondhand market, usually around the £350-400 mark - at that price I doubt very much that there's anything that comes close. Check www.hififorsale.com - I'm sure I've seen CA-2s come up fairly regularly on there.

Can't say how it will gel with the Rotel as I've never heard one, ditto the JM Labs. But seeing how little impact the ATC has on the sound of a system, you shouldn't have any problems.

Dunc

dunkyboy, Mar 18, 2004
  7. eagle

eagle

Thanks for all your input, I will keep my eye out for theATC on the secondhand market.

I have also recently come across the Electrocompaniet EC4.6 and 4.7 preamp anyone have experience of this. I found both on Audiogon and can be used here without anyconversion (230V supply).

eagle, Mar 18, 2004
  8. eagle

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

Ec 4.7 pre - superb (of course I would say that as an owner).....I am seriously considering selling my EC stuff (just for changes sake really) PM me if you are interested. If your in my area I could bring it around for a demo if you'd like:)

cheers //lamb

PS Ive also got the 120 power amp as well.

lAmBoY, Mar 18, 2004
  9. eagle

technobear Ursine Audiophile

My experience of ATC amplification mirrors that of those above. How does it sound? Well it sounds like your source as interpreted by your speakers :)

technobear, Mar 19, 2004
  10. eagle

Paul Duerden

We got very good results with a Densen Beat pre used with a Rotel power amp. The Beat was a lot better than an AVI we had used previously, giving a niclely dynamic and rhythmic sound without throwing everything in your face or resorting to harshness at the top.

The Beat needs about 12 hrs to warm up.

Paul Duerden, Mar 19, 2004
  11. eagle

eagle

I have only ever listen to a Densen beat CD player which I loved. There doesn't seem to be many good preamps on the second hand market at the moment (or at least not ones I would consider --pricewise).

I'll keep looking. Being checking sites every night now, in hope of something coming up.

eagle, Mar 19, 2004
  12. eagle

wolfgang

I am not sure about others but if any modern electronics takes so long to warms up everytime it it switch on it is only worth going into the museum.

Think about it. If you bought a TV and for the first 12 hours the picture has a red hue on the top part and green on the lower part before it produces a nice picture. I don't care if the picture there after is reference quality, but will you still think it is a high quality product worth boasting about?

I just don't get it.

wolfgang, Mar 19, 2004
  13. eagle

penance Arrogant Cock

no problem is it
    just leave it on

penance, Mar 19, 2004
  14. eagle

dunkyboy

12 hours does seem like a long time, but I know that CRT-based televisions do take some time to warm up and reach peak performance levels - usually something like half an hour to an hour, sometimes more. And that's for bog standard mainstream tellies. So 12 hours for what is a fairly esoteric bit of hifi doesn't sound too bad in that context - and I'm sure it works just fine for those 12 hours, just doesn't sound quite as good as it can (..?)

Dunc

dunkyboy, Mar 19, 2004
  15. eagle

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Well my ATC gives 100% the moment it is switched on and seems largely immune to temperature changes.

The CD player takes a little longer. It sounds pretty good when first switched on but sweetens slightly after an hour.

technobear, Mar 19, 2004
Ask a Question