ATC SCM35 - What amp to us???

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by andyoz, Sep 18, 2004.

1. andyoz

andyoz

ATC SCM35 - What amp to use???

Just purchased ATC SCM35's this week. Very, very impressed so far however my electronics are now in need of an upgrade. I am currently running a NAD 218THX power amp. The NAD is a bit of a beast at 225W/channel but I really need to move over to something packing the same punch as the NAD but with more refinement. I am feeding the NAD with the variable output from my CD player (not ideal but it does the job for now).

I am really keen on ATC's own range of amps as they appear to offer the type of sound I like (i.e. take no prisoners honesty!). Also, they are very good value on the second hand market with the SIA2-150 integrated amp selling for around £1000 and the CA2 pre/SPA2-150 power combo can be had for around £2000.

Thing is, I really like the look and price of the SIA2-150. The look of the CA2/SPA2-150 does not appeal as much (have to please the wife you know!) . As I live in N. Ireland and there are no ATC dealers here, I have no chance to demo both amps and hear how significant the differences are.

Has anyone had experience with any of this kit?

The system will be used to play all types of music (except classical) and the listeniing room is medium sized at 14ft x 17ft.

Andy

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2004
    andyoz, Sep 18, 2004
  2. andyoz

johnhunt recidivist

bel canto evo 4

johnhunt, Sep 18, 2004
  3. andyoz

Curt

Krell KAV 400xi

Curt, Sep 18, 2004
  4. andyoz

lordsummit moderate mod

Something from Naim maybe a 250?

lordsummit, Sep 18, 2004
  5. andyoz

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

Whatever you do don't use the Cyrus monoblocks...
    Don't know if it's the amps or speakers or some terrible mis-match but this combo gives muddy overblown bass, recessed midband and sound that would easily be bettered by a Bose Wave radio..

leonard smalls, Sep 18, 2004
  6. andyoz

sideshowbob Trisha

Seems a shame to spend a couple of grand on ATC amplification when you could get it for much less by buying a pair of their active speakers.

That's what I'd do - ditch the SCM35 idea and go active.

Well, you did ask. ;)

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Sep 18, 2004
  7. andyoz

The Devil IHTFP

What sideshowbob said.

The Devil, Sep 18, 2004
  8. andyoz

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

If you do go active with atc's at least go for the 50's, the 20's I had recently needed a sub to help out

wadia-miester, Sep 18, 2004
  9. andyoz

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Ive seen 100's second hand for 2k. Within budget?

bottleneck, Sep 18, 2004
  10. andyoz

Dev Moderator

Guys, he's already bought the speakers, so there's no point in tallking about going active. You might make him think he's wasted his money.

Dev, Sep 18, 2004
  11. andyoz

dunkyboy

Andy, I would just get the integrated. There may be an improvement in going pre-power but (and not speaking from experience, mind you, just educated conjecture...) compared to the improvement you'll get going from the NAD to the ATC, it won't likely be much. I suspect the combo of SIA and 35s will sound stunning and you won't feel the need to upgrade for a looooong time, if ever. (That is, until you get the itching for a pair of Active 50s. ;) )

That said, I believe Technobear on these forums has an SIA-150, so maybe he can shed some more light on the matter.

Dunc

P.S. - I also think that you will get a noticeable jump in performance when you stop using the variable out on the CD player. Variable CD player outs can be done well, but AFAIK (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) the Marantz one is just a simple digital affair included as a handy little bonus feature (presumably for situations like yours) rather than a permanent solution.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2004
    dunkyboy, Sep 18, 2004
  12. andyoz

sideshowbob Trisha

Didn't notice you'd already bought the SCM35s. ATC passives are very good IME, so ignore the siren voices telling you how much better the actives are (for now, at least ;) )

I'd go with the pre/power rather than the integrated, because: (a) the preamp has more inputs, a phono option, and an excellent headphone output; (b) if you ever do decide to go active, it's the ideal pre to use with ATC actives, so it won't be a wasted investment.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Sep 18, 2004
  13. andyoz

wflem007

Andy

Welcome from a fellow Norn Ironer ! I'm from Bangor.

I use a Nad 218THX as well, into Dynaudio speakers, with another 218 winging it's way from the States. The whole story is under the thread "Monoblocking Amps" but I too will be looking for ATC or similar powerhouses as I want to be keeping the Nads.

There was a dealer in Portglenone called Audio Audio who were ATC dealers, but sadly Audio Audio is no longer there - they closed up last year sometime. Sad, he was a nice guy, Gary I think he was called. Some nice stuff in the shop.

wflem007, Sep 18, 2004
  14. andyoz

andyoz

Will hunting!!!

Wow, you guys have been busy while I have been offline. All comments much appreciated. And yes I know ATC actives are the way to go and I really wanted the SCM50A's but, have to please the missus... you try sneaking a pair of SCM50A's into the living room unnoticed!

More importantly - Will, we really need to talk !! If I understand your "Monoblocking Amps" thread correctly, you have someone bringing back a NAD 218THX from the states in Nov. Well mine is up for sale and it is mint. I would even offer to come up from Warrenpoint and let you try my 218THX in your system (I never miss a chance to listen to Dyns) - that would answer you doublts straight away.

The NAD is actually giving a good account of itself after the SCM35 upgrade. However, the low prices of ATC amps second hand is just too tempting. I am bloody hooked on ATC gear now (do ATC make CD players?....only joking).

Seriously Will, get in contact.

Also, Ian, thanks for comments re. advantages of pre/power combo. Don't worry, the idea of going active one day will never leave me - will just have to wait for the house extension (5 years tops!).

Andy

andyoz, Sep 18, 2004
  15. andyoz

JackOTrades

Did he stutter? ;)

i guess they were redundant... :JPS:

[sorry guys, I couldn't resist...] :duck:

:beer:
    Jack

JackOTrades, Sep 18, 2004
  16. andyoz

andyoz

All done, nothing to see here!

Well I ended up going for the CA2/SPA2-150 option.

Managed to pick them up second hand with about 2 years on the clock for the grand total of £1400 (RRP is £4000, ouch!). That's much better than I expected so the SIA2-150 idea was quickly shelved.

Haven't arrived yet so here's hoping they get my rocks off.

Also, "Will" is going to buy my NAD 218THX so another Zerogain Forum happy ending.

Now for the Cd player........................somebody stop me.
    Anyone used the Rega Jupiter or Rocksan Caspian with ATC's before???

Andy

andyoz, Sep 20, 2004
  17. andyoz

sideshowbob Trisha

Sounds like you got a bit of a bargain there.

I played with a Rega Jupiter when I had a CA-2/Active 10 setup, it was fine. I think virtually any CD player will do the job. The only CDP I tried with ATCs that I thought was positively bad was a Naim CD 3.5. Most modern CDPs sound all right to me.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Sep 20, 2004
  18. andyoz

andyoz

Well I hope it's a bargain Ian. Finding used/ex-demo CA2's was alot easier than I expected, there's three around the traps at the moment (well two now) if anyones interested?

Re CDP's. Funny you mention that you found the Naim sound didn't gell with ATC's. The guy who sold me the CA2 has a Naim CD5 and doesn't think it suits the ATC sound due to the rolled off top end of the Naim. I guess I'll just cross Naim off the wish-list then.

Andy

andyoz, Sep 20, 2004
  19. andyoz

dunkyboy

Cool! Do let us know how you get on with your new toy. :)

Dunc

dunkyboy, Sep 20, 2004
  20. andyoz

The Devil IHTFP

:)

The Devil, Sep 21, 2004
Ask a Question