ATC SCM35 - What amp to us???

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by andyoz, Sep 18, 2004.

1. andyoz

andyoz

Any cable gurus here that may have some recommendations on how to connect the CA2 to the SPA2-150.

The CA2 has unbalanced XLR output only. The SPA2-150 has balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA, which one should I use?

I have searched other threads but haven't turned up anything yet. Also, emailed ATC for any advice.

I am prepared (and just about capable) of making my own cable by the way.
    Any advice appreciated.

Andy

andyoz, Sep 21, 2004
  2. andyoz

dunkyboy

If you get a reply from ATC I'll be very surprised - they don't seem to bother with email. :) I would give them a ring - they're very friendly and usually up for a chat.

I would say just buy yourself a pair of decent pro-grade XLR-XLR (or some fancy expensive audiophile XLR cable if it makes you feel better) and connect to the balanced in on the power amp. This is how ATC recommend the CA2 be connected to their actives (which have balanced XLR ins), so it should work fine with the SPA-150.

Dunc

dunkyboy, Sep 21, 2004
  3. andyoz

sideshowbob Trisha

I used cheap as chips balanced mic cable from the unbalanced outputs of the CA-2 into the balanced inputs of the Active 10s. Sounded absolutely fine, no different to a £1200 Madrigal cable I tried once, and didn't cause any problems. ATC will almost certainly say the same, they're very sensible and lacking in audiphool bollocks.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Sep 21, 2004
  4. andyoz

andyoz

Thanks,

Will call ATC tomorrow just out of curiosity but sounds like XLR-XLR is the way to go.

As you say, if it works for their actives then it must be OK for the power amp. Funny the CA2 isn't balanced output though.

Have to get those cables organised before the gear arrives, imagine having them and not be able to connect up....friggin' torture!!!

Andy

p.s. nice one Duncan for letting me know about www.hififorsale.com...that's where I got the pre/power from.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2004
    andyoz, Sep 21, 2004
  5. andyoz

CyaD

For future reference, this note may be of interest:

http://www.rane.com/note110.html

It shows you how to make all sorts of interconnects including balanced - unbalanced

CyaD, Sep 22, 2004
  6. andyoz

dunkyboy

Actually, I just remembered the manual for my ATC actives has a wiring diagram for wiring up an RCA-XLR lead... not sure the power amp will have it too if it's got both RCA and XLR inputs...

Dunc

dunkyboy, Sep 22, 2004
  7. andyoz

andyoz

Got an email from ATC (what!) and they said use the balanced XLR input on the SPA2-150 and not the unbalanced RCA input.

Thanks for the link CyaD, I am still trying to understand it!

Andy

andyoz, Sep 22, 2004
  8. andyoz

dunkyboy

Wow, an email! They must really like you Andy. :)

Dunc

dunkyboy, Sep 22, 2004
  9. andyoz

sideshowbob Trisha

I've had emails from ATC in the past too. Maybe it's just you they don't like Duncan ;)

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Sep 22, 2004
  10. andyoz

andyoz

Well Dunc I am Australian....and the owner of ATC (Bill Woodman) is Australian too and Ozzies stick together you know! Half tempted to ring ATC and see if they transfer me straight to Billy Boy once they hear my accent (....strewth!)

Will just get some balanced XLR-XLR cables.

I used to buy gear from Studio Spares when I lived in England but the buggers want to charge £15 delivery to N. Irealnd. Any ideas on good cable suppliers on the internet - will even make my own if I can get the components?

Andy

andyoz, Sep 22, 2004
  11. andyoz

dunkyboy

dunkyboy, Sep 22, 2004
  12. andyoz

andyoz

Dunc, gonna make my own leads because I only need 0.5m long max. Most of the pro shops are selling stuff over 3 metres.

Zarquon gave me a link to www.canford.co.uk/

They have the Neutrik NC3FX-B XLR's which are like standard NC3FX but have a black body and gold connectors. They also sell all the Belden cables (anyone know which Belden cable is best to use?) and will do free delivery to N. Ireland if I spend more than £25.

Can you tell me if the CA2 has a male or female XLR output?

Andy

andyoz, Sep 22, 2004
  13. andyoz

wflem007

You can feel the excitement rising in Andy's pad as he awaits the ATC amps arrival.

Yep - bought his old Nad 218 and will be travelling down to pick it up (and pay !) next weekend.

With any luck all his ATC gear will be in place and I get a sneak listen :)

wflem007, Sep 22, 2004
  14. andyoz

andyoz

Will,

If I don't watch myself, all the ATC gear will be here with no bloody cables to connect it!

Andy

andyoz, Sep 22, 2004
  15. andyoz

wflem007

Well, just to bring you all up to date, went down to Andy's pad this morning to pick up "my" second Nad 218, and to listen in on Andy's system.

I brought down just a couple of cd's, AC/DC and Journey, but stayed a lot later than I should - I had call-outs to do :eek:

The ATC SCM 35's are a very very impressive speaker - nowhere near as big as I had imagined, and definetly a lot of WAF built in. Very dynamic with lots of balls - plays Rock with tight grip, great mid and a solid thwack to the bottom.

Not unlike the Dynaudio 10 standmounts I'm currently using, but more of it. I would guess Dynaudio and ATC have a lot in common since their house styles are pretty similar.

Anyway, if I'm gonna monoblock my Nads (700w into 8ohm, 1.2kw into 4ohm) the Dynaudio's have to go cause they cannae take it - the ATC 50's seem to fit the bill so I'm starting saving right away. Disease, what disease ?

wflem007, Oct 2, 2004
  16. andyoz

andyoz

Will, mission accomplished as we have another ATC convert!

Today was the first time in a week I switched between the SPA2-150 and the NAD. There are some definate differences in sound as expected. They are most noticeably at the bottom end with the ATC digging deeper than the NAD. With my setup, I have noticed that the SPA2-150 can be a bit too weighty in the upper bass (i.e. lower end of male vocals). The NAD generally sounds a bit more light and airy on male vocals. Anyway, that's more to do with the way the SCM35 interacts with my room I guess.

Also, Will has now convinced me that AC/DC tracks are bloody well recorded.

As usual with ATC's, we started listening pretty quiet but quickly cranked up the volume and left it there!

One last note, anyone thinking of buying the CA2 and SPA2-150, don't be put off by the looks based on seeing photos. I originally was, but they are actually right sexy in the flesh (even Will was pleasantly surprised at the look of the SPA2-150 in particular).

Andy

andyoz, Oct 2, 2004
  17. andyoz

hifienthusiast

Atc Ca2

Hi Andy

It has been a pleasure to selling you the ATC CA2 pre amp. I am glad to hear that you have got the CA2 now working well with the ATC power amp. I would have liked to listen to the SCM35 to find out how they sound like. After running a pair of Active 10 with the CA2 pre last year and a pair of passive ATC SCM20 with Naim amps a few years ago, I know the house sound of ATC monitors. Unfortunately, the Active 10 and CA2 just didn't match the Naim CD5. When I had a Rega Planet 2000, the ATC combo sounded a lot better. I know a pinkfishmedia forum member is using a new old stock NVA CD player, Avondale modified Musical Fidelity The Preamp and he likes the sound very much. He used to have the Naim CD5 and Hicap with a pair of active Linn Tukans, but after he got the ATC speakers, he sold the Naim CD5 immediately to get the NVA CD player.

I just got myself a Sugden A21a int amp and a pair of Dynaudio Audience 52 speakers, they will do me for now until I got myself a house, I will probably get a pair of ATC Active 20, just like the upgrade path similar to dunkyboy. By that time I will also get rid of the Naim CD5 as well and go for a more round earth system!

Take care and enjoy your "new" ATC, they are VERY good.

Regards
    Hon

hifienthusiast, Oct 3, 2004
  18. andyoz

The Devil IHTFP

I would suggest going direct to Active 50s if you can afford it. The built-in amp pack is optimised for the drivers, and far better than trying to match up external power amps, and you also have the benefit of active operation - the drivers are in phase at the crossover points.

The Devil, Oct 3, 2004
  19. andyoz

andyoz

Yep, I can clearly understand the advantages of the active designs. I wanted the Active 50's originally but the look wouldn't fit in with the house decor.

I am actually hoping that as ATC sales increase, they can afford to do a specific line of floorstanding actives for the domestic market. At the moment they are bridging the pro and consumer markets with the same designs hence the kinda weird dimensions of the active 50's (i.e. it needs to be suitable for console or in-wall studio mounting). I am hoping they will one day do a more "normal" looking 3-way active floorstander.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2004
    andyoz, Oct 3, 2004
  20. andyoz

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I believe the 70's are active floorstanders, Larkin has some you could pm him and ask him how he finds them

wadia-miester, Oct 3, 2004
Ask a Question