atc scm40 vs. scm35

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by msp, Nov 13, 2006.

1. msp

msp

has anybody had a chance to compare them? i can't decide which one i should go for (they are unavailable over here in germany). i've only heard the scm35 (w/ bryston - can't remember the model) and thought they were just about perfect except maybe missing sth in the high end. is the scm40 any better in that regard? how about getting a cheap used scm35 and replacing the tweeter?

any idea if my accuphase e-206 (2x130w - 8 ohm) will be enough for them?

big thank you in advance - rolf

msp, Nov 13, 2006
  2. msp

andyoz

They were discussed briefly here:

https://www.audio-forums.com/as-rediect/showthread.php?t=12960&highlight=scm40

The SCM40's use a different tweeter (ATC's own design) but I have never heard them. I owned the SCM35's and found them a bit restrained in the top end, ultimately too "dry" sounding for me.

And remember, there were two versions of the SCM35, the latter one had 3" taller cabinets.

If you are serious about buying the SCM35, talk to the guys at www.audiosalon.co.uk. A few months back they bought up ATC's old SCM35 stock and were selling them new for £1300. They're good guys and may well be able to organise something to Germany.

andyoz, Nov 13, 2006
  3. msp

anubisgrau

this is being frequently repeated but it doesn't seem to be true according to ATC people.... i had some correspondance recently with the factory on a possibility for upgrade from my old vifa tweeter. they told me that a new ATC tweeter is due 2007 for active versions only.
    tweeters in new ATC passives are apparently OEM-ed, not an ATC product.

anubisgrau, Nov 13, 2006
  4. msp

ShinOBIWAN

Thats right, ATC use Seas and Vifa for their treble units at the moment.

ShinOBIWAN, Nov 13, 2006
  5. msp

andyoz

Cool, must have got my wires crossed. :D

andyoz, Nov 13, 2006
  6. msp

dunkyboy

I'm sure it was one of the mags that said it was ATC's own design of tweeter. Hifi Choice?

Dunc

dunkyboy, Nov 14, 2006
Ask a Question