Audio Aero CDP?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by MontyW, Dec 22, 2007.

1. MontyW

MontyW

Hi,

Has anyone got any experience of the French Audio Aero CD players; either Prima or Capitole?

The make has been recommended to me to audition, but I'd like to what are your thoughts on their 'sound' quality and why you bought either player?

Many thanks,

MontyW

MontyW, Dec 22, 2007
  2. MontyW

hifinutt

heard one of these recently and very very impressed, also noted no preamp needed which saved space . sound was sublime with audio acoustics mains leads[£1100 each approx]

hifinutt, Dec 26, 2007
  3. MontyW

anubisgrau

that was certainly not prima, maybe capitole.

anubisgrau, Dec 26, 2007
  4. MontyW

Ya-Boo

People are always getting the AA product line mixed up
    the Prima CDP is not remotely like the Capitole in performance,price or specification, the PRIMA DAC/PRE however is exactly the same as the capitole without the drawback of the moody transport mech.
    These players are fantastic but there are several issues to be aware of before buying,check the many worldwide forums most have been discussed at length.
    I have owned the complete range over the last 3 years and still use the Brand now.

Ya-Boo, Dec 27, 2007
  5. MontyW

Elberoth

I have owned the Capitole mk II before. Absolutely NO transport issues of any kind. The player, both mk II and the current Capitole Reference (mk III) use one of the most robust drive mechanisms available - Philips CD-Pro2M.

Sound wise, it is a gem. Absolutely amaizing. The build in analog pre is also VERY good. In fact, most of the Capitole owners run it direct to poweramps (saving on both the pre and cables).

I eventually sold it after two years, and replaced with MBL 1531 CDP, which IMO is a step up, both from Capitole mk II and Capitole Reference (mk III). MBL lacks the preamp though.

Elberoth, Dec 27, 2007
  6. MontyW

Ya-Boo

I beg to differ, have been in contact over the years with several of people who HAVE had transport problems,I myself have also had issues with the transport in my Prestige and several software glitches in my 1st Capitole that said they are still fantastic sounding players.
    yes the onboard pre is fine,can be bettered with the Vcap upgrade we both have/had,Cyroed Valves that I had fitted later were a waste of time and money though.
    I found however that a seperate pre-amp did give a degree of improvement worth the extra outlay costs following on from a well meaning forum member continually urgeing me to give one a try.

Have heard the MBL you have ....not my cup of tea at all, must have jelled well in your system sure didnt in mine.

Ya-Boo, Dec 28, 2007
  7. MontyW

Elberoth

Audio Aero SACD prestige is a different story. They use to break monthly, LOL. So much in fact that AA decided to change the drive mechanism from Philips to Sony (or was that vice versa ?).

Many other manufacturers have had the same problem with those SACD drives: dCS, Accuphase, Krell, EMM Labs to name just a few. I remember a story from one Krell SACD Standard owner, who after sending the player 8th time for repairs in just 12 months, refused to reclaim it from the dealer, LOL. Now Krell also uses a different drive in SACD Standard mk III (the same one that is beeing used in EVO 505 and 525).

As I said - the Philips CD-Pro2M which sits in current Capitole Reference is one of the most robust drive mechanism available on the market today. It can almost read discs placed upside down. It beeing used in so many hi-end CD players right now, that it is hard to even list them.

Elberoth, Dec 28, 2007
Ask a Question