Audio Help, Noob with noise

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by SUBstandardSAM, Feb 5, 2024.

1. SUBstandardSAM

SUBstandardSAM

Hi Everyone,

Somewhat new to forums so sorry if I get anything wrong.

I'm looking for some help with an audio system on a 10m boat

I am getting very loud hum over the speakers when high powered led lights are on

I have a fusion head unit and 8 speakers, 2 amps.

I have tried re routing cables and also tried a cable moved away from the main cable runs with one speaker and everything else disconnected and still getting noise.

I have also tried an isolated power supply but that hasn't helped as I believe its noise from the led lights that are causing the problem.

I am going to try to run a spare rca cable across from the amp to the head unit tomorrow with just my one speaker connected and see if I still get the noise even when the cable is away from the led cables.

Just wondering if there is anything else I can try or if there is some grounding or suppression I'm missing.

Thanks in advance for any help!

SUBstandardSAM, Feb 5, 2024
  2. SUBstandardSAM

Arkless Electronics

It's unlikely in the extreme that it could be radiated noise so it's probably a wiring issue.

Connect the audio gear DIRECTLY to the main battery + & - with no other connections to ground anywhere ie through the chassis of the unit to grounded metalwork. If this still doesn't work then I'd try using a second battery just for the audio gear with the connections as above. A switch/relay can be arranged to enable this battery to be charged from the main system.

Arkless Electronics, Feb 7, 2024
Ask a Question