Audio interface or mixer with usb output volume control

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by RadioPresenter, Jan 31, 2024.

1. RadioPresenter

RadioPresenter

I have what I thought would be a simple requirement. I present radio programmes. I have a condenser mic which requires 48v phantom power. I want to connect that to some form of audio interface with a usb output which feeds into my MacBook and my broadcasting software. BUT the key requirement is that the audio interface must have a volume control or mute button which controls the volume of the usb output. So far all the devices I have seen have a volume control which controls output to speakers/ headphones but not the USB. I want the audio interface to mute the mic from a button/ volume control. Is it possible for an audio interface to vary the volume of what goes out on the usb and into the MacBook. And for a budget price? At present my setup is mic to analogue mixer (where I do the volume control) and then mixer to audio interface and thence to the MacBook.

RadioPresenter, Jan 31, 2024
  2. RadioPresenter

Arkless Electronics

The way you are doing it already seems the most logical to me! You have the 48V phantom power to the mic from the analogue mixer and the mixers faders and EQ etc to "drive things" with.... Whats the problem with this?

Arkless Electronics, Feb 1, 2024
  3. RadioPresenter

RadioPresenter

Thanks. There’s no problem except I wonder if am losing a bit of sound quality by going through two devices. And they take up a bit of space on my desk. It just seemed odd to me that I couldn’t find a budget audio interface with phantom power which enabled me to control the sound level going out on the usb.

RadioPresenter, Feb 1, 2024
  4. RadioPresenter

Arkless Electronics

Depending on the mixer etc it's probably better quality the way you are already doing it as there would need to be a mic preamp etc in an interface that can take a mic... obviously. You are getting all the benefits of having faders which allow mixing of mic with other inputs (tape, CD, MP3, probably more than one mic for a guest being interviewed etc), plus mute for each of these, EQ, pan potting etc by using a mixer before the interface. I don't know what size etc the mixer you are using is but you can get ones not much bigger than a large book which have just say 3-5 inputs which would probably suffice.

Arkless Electronics, Feb 1, 2024
  5. RadioPresenter

tuga

You'd be better off consulting a pro audio store (or emailing a manufacturer) but it looks like you need a USB interface with analogue inputs and outputs like the Focusrite Solo which has analogue volume for the headphones ouput and phantom power for your microphone:

https://focusrite.com/products/scarlett-solo

tuga, Feb 2, 2024
  6. RadioPresenter

Arkless Electronics

So erm.... basically a a analogue mixer with USB output!.... which is the same as an analogue mixer feeding the USB audio interface but at no doubt a much higher price. Only advantage is one less "box". "If it ain't broke don't fix it" :)

Arkless Electronics, Feb 2, 2024
  7. RadioPresenter

tuga

Isn't that what the OP asked for? :rolleyes:

tuga, Feb 2, 2024
Ask a Question