Audio Nirvana for under £1,400...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by macvisual, Jun 15, 2008.

1. macvisual

macvisual

Hi all...

I thought I would share my present hi-fi thoughts with you all. I've been a very keen hi-fi guy who I'm sure like you all have up-graded pieces possibly over many years, I'ts like a bug as you all know, searching for that musical sound that gives you a nice feeling inside, well I believe I have found my most sitisfying sound for not big money output (strange but true)! I have been on the audio hi-fi trail since around the mid 1970s, in a few years time I will be hitting 50yrs, over the past 15 years I have owned hi-fi makes such as; Krell-Magneplanar-Audio Synthesis-Rotel Michi-Audio Innovations-Magnum Dynalab-Primaluna-Promitheus Audio...etc...etc....you know the score.
    I have always loved the style/shape/design of the Quad ESL 57, especially in the bronze trim, and was lucky enough to find an advert with a pair for sale in Nottingham quite recently. Guy was selling a clean/mint pair of original bronze Quad ESL 57 electroststics (1968), no up-grades, original boxes, so I bought them. My current system is quite simple, I have a Quad CDP-2 cd player, and have been using (by accident) my son's Cambridge Audio A1 (25watts) amplifier playing through the ESL 57's. The sound is totally beautiful, so musical and a midrange quality to die for! I paid £400 for Quad ESL 57's, Quad CDP-2 £650, C.Audio A1 amp (Richer Sounds) around £100. Thats £1150 so far, and then say £250 pounds for interconnects/mains cables/speaker cables, grand total of £1,400.

I have never known a hi-fi system to sound SO GOOD for under £1,500 and I'm having countless hours of enjoyment listening to my cd collection, simply sublime!!

My music taste as follows; John Martyn-Jethro Tull-Donald Fagen-Peter Cincotti-Hue & Cry-David Sylvian-Scott Hamilton-Seth Lakeman-Nick Drake-Kraftwerk-Japan-Love & Money-Jack Bruce etc...etc.

Just thought I would share this - enjoy!

peter
    (A very happy man)!

macvisual, Jun 15, 2008
  2. macvisual

RobHolt Moderator

Brilliant post and congratulations Paul on finding Nirvana.

Just goes to show how much hot air and nonsense pervades the audiophile industry regarding high-end electronics and cabling.

I had a similar shock recently with a pair of 57s - if only my room were a little larger.

RobHolt, Jun 15, 2008
Ask a Question