audio research d125

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by blakeaudio, Jul 20, 2004.

1. blakeaudio

blakeaudio

does anyone know / have any experience with the audio research d125? how does it stack up against the competition? was it one of audio research's successes, or failures? and please, those that don't like tubes / AR gear, don't bother!! :D i'm just trying to get a feel for how this amp is placed in the grand scheme of things......

blakeaudio, Jul 20, 2004
  2. blakeaudio

penance Arrogant Cock

I believe the D series was not tubes, but solid state. I may be wrong tho...

penance, Jul 20, 2004
  3. blakeaudio

blakeaudio

the d125 definitely used tubes, 8 6550 in fact. i believe it had a jfet driver stage, but defintely the power stage was tubes.

blakeaudio, Jul 20, 2004
  4. blakeaudio

penance Arrogant Cock

ah ok.
    my bad

penance, Jul 20, 2004
  5. blakeaudio

Robbo

Not heard the D125, but own a CA50 integrated which is based around the VT50 and think its great. Personally, I'd go for a more recent amp like the VT100 if you can find one s/h, but who knows the D125 may be the dogs.

Have you seen this site :-

http://www.arcdb.ws/

Cheers, Robbo

Robbo, Jul 20, 2004
  6. blakeaudio

blakeaudio

thanks, i saw your link to that site from a previous thread. it's a great sight, it's only a shame that it doesn't include reviews / links to reviews. as far as i know, it isn't a dog. apparently (as with all amps) it sometimes needs the caps replaced and is perhaps slightly more susceptible to this. just trying to see if somewhere out there knows anything :)

blakeaudio, Jul 20, 2004
  7. blakeaudio

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

The D series isn't considered a serious valve amp because it uses j-fets as the drivers. The fact these are probably better at driving the power tubes and may sound better never comes into it - go figure!!

IMHO all valve amps should have their psu caps replaced evry 10 years or so. They dry out and if they go wrong then it can be 'Bye Bye Amp'. Also AR are known for driving the tubes a little bit harder. Nothing wrong with this, just keep an eye on things. If you know how to measure bias, if it keeps drifting this is a sure sign of things going wrong, usually the tubes, but if new tubes then possible some caps drying out, psu or coupling.

LiloLee, Jul 20, 2004
  8. blakeaudio

Robbo

No, I meant as in the dogs danglies

Robbo, Jul 20, 2004
  9. blakeaudio

blakeaudio

i was under the impression that many of ar's amps used solid state driver sections, at least many of the more modern ones...? could be wrong... i thought even the "classic" series were this configuration. you may well be right about thinking it might even work better! ;)

certainly agree with you on needing to periodically replace the psu caps. i would go further though, and perhaps suggest this applies to all amps.

i don't actually have a d125, i was just considering checking one out. they seem to be fairly attractive price wise, like the vt60. with the vt60, you can understand why they may be under appreciated and hence cheap (butt ugly!) and i was wondering if there was any specific reason for the d125? i have been using tube amps for years and am fairly familiar with the maintenance requirements!! :D

blakeaudio, Jul 21, 2004
  10. blakeaudio

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Blake

Ive personally noticed a different 'flavour' to many ARC power amps. Some can sound quite dark (as in coloured towards bassiness) , but not all of them.

Im sure it depends a lot on model.

I would try one and see.

bottleneck, Jul 21, 2004
  11. blakeaudio

blakeaudio

as an older model that doesn't come up to often, it's kind of hard to demo!!! :D it was more of a "informed punt" approach i was considering!

blakeaudio, Jul 21, 2004
  12. blakeaudio

Lt Cdr Data om

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2004
    Lt Cdr Data, Jul 21, 2004
  13. blakeaudio

blakeaudio

do you subscribe? any chance of emailing me the review / info?
    d250, what a beast! always thought it was pretty amazing looking with ALL of those tubes! i'd be worried everytime i turned the thing on! not to mention, that living on the 4th floor, with no lift, it would be a nightmare carrying the thing up to my flat!!! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2004
    blakeaudio, Jul 21, 2004
  14. blakeaudio

Lt Cdr Data om

no don't subscribe, there is a site devoted to arc gear, too.
    you can pick 250s up for £2k or so. but like a big old jag probly, nice, but expensive to keep.

Lt Cdr Data, Jul 21, 2004
  15. blakeaudio

blakeaudio

they had one at walrus a while back. didn't get to hear it, but drooled for a while. i'm guessing you'd be looking at at least £600 to retube the thing! plus there getting on a bit, and would probably require recap-ing etc.

blakeaudio, Jul 21, 2004
Ask a Question