Audio Technica AT-OC9 v's Grado Gold advice

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by wolf larson, Mar 30, 2007.

1. wolf larson

wolf larson

Hi all,

I would appreciate your experienced advice on the following: I may be acquiring an Audio Technica AT-OC9 MC cartridge to fit on my pink triangle (through an RB300) although I'm not sure how old it is and how much use it's had.

My conundrum is that I'm currently using an almost brand new Grado Gold which I really like the sound of. Another consideration is that the phono stage I use is the in-built one in my Arcam Delta 90.2 amp and, whilst this is switchable to MC, I appreciate that it's not an expensive and sophisticated phono stage and MC's have a far lower output and therefore require far more and better quality amplification to get the best out of them than MM's (or moving iron's in the case of the Grado).

Unfortunately, buying an external phono stage isn't an option, so I'd be interested to hear your thoughts and experience if any of you have previously owned an AT-OC9.

Thanks,
    Wolf

Thanks,
    Andrew

wolf larson, Mar 30, 2007
  2. wolf larson

Goomer

If the OC9 is the older version, rather than the current OC9 mlII, I'd be inclined to stick with the Grado you are using. A standard OC9 will be getting on in years now, regardless of its actual usage, so wont be performing at best by now.

If it is an OC9 mlII, more investigation into its condition would be needed as this is an excellent cartridge in my opinion, and would be worth using in your RB300. I used one for just over a year and found it to be very neutral and an excellent tracker. I would certainly go back to one if I needed to for any reason.

Goomer, Mar 30, 2007
  3. wolf larson

McLogan

The current OC9 is too good for an RB300. In other words the arm does not allow all of the virtues of this fine cartridge to shine through. Thus, following my acquisition of an OC9, I upgraded the RB300 to a Michell TecnoArm, and I believe I am now enjoying the full flavour of both.

McLogan, Mar 31, 2007
Ask a Question