Audiosmile BBC style Monitor

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by RobHolt, Jun 19, 2011.

1. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

This has been an idea on the back burner for a while now.
    Some initial testing took place and we deconstructed a rather nice Rogers LS3/6 to gain more insight into what makes these things tick.

If we could offer say a modern version of the Spendor BC1/SP1/Rogers LS3/6, would there be any interest?

In other words a traditionally styled BBC voiced large stand mount but with higher power handling, better control at the very bottom end, lower distortion and, importantly - dB sensitivity in the upper 80s and a benign load. Birch ply damped cabinets and the traditional format of 8" bass/mid, large tweeter dome with smaller upper tweeter.

We think it can be done, but would people want it?

RobHolt, Jun 19, 2011
  2. RobHolt

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

I'd have thought it was a good idea assuming you can compete against / beat the Spendor SP1/2 and the Harbeth SHL5 both on performance and price. That's certainly the first comparison anyone would make, so you'd need to win it! I'd be very interested to see what you come up with as it's a very sensibly sized box, almost ideally so IMO - big enough not to be hopelessly handicapped, small enough not to be too imposing.

After living with SHL5s for a while I'd be inclined to slightly meddle with the design and make it more a proper three-way, i.e. crossover from the bass much lower than the Harbeth's 3.3Khz (which I consider the weakness of that design). I'd try and cross over at about 700Hz and 7Khz if I could find the drivers, even wider if possible, e.g. find a nice small full-range driver for the mid and give it a 8" bass and super-tweeter to make it full-range and give it some scale. I understand the two tweeter thing in the original BC1 as tweeter technology had a way to evolve in those days, but now there's just no need IMO - far more sense to make a proper three-way and get the crossover away from the vocal range.

Tony.

TonyL, Jun 19, 2011
  3. RobHolt

Cable Monkey

Strikes me as being an incredibly difficult place to go. You want to make an association with your speaker and the BBC where there has never been one. If you want to build a monitor of that size and style then do so but I wouldn't make a big play about the 'BBC style'. You might be seen as something of a pretender if that is your marketing strategy.:)

Cable Monkey, Jun 20, 2011
Ask a Question