August's Most Listened To?

Discussion in 'General Music' started by ilockyer, Aug 22, 2003.

1. ilockyer

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

So, what's it been this month? Well, a mixture for me. Three new albums this month:

Neil Young - Greendale: Concept type album about a fictional Californian town, all topics covered, political, ecological and human issues too. Musically very reminiscent of Zuma and the fairly raw, rough n ready production reminds me a bit of Mirrorball.

Tom Petty - The Last DJ: Tom Petty albums are usually pretty good. The title cut on this one's by far the best, a scathing dig at the state of the radio industry, that no-one can think for themselves anymore... couple of other highlights, but only had it for a couple of days.

Allman Brothers Band - Hittin' The Note: Only one Allman these days (Gregg), but the very capable Derek Trucks (Drummer Butch Trucks' son) and Warren Haynes on guitars (and vocals in Warren's case). Some good stuff here, Warren's sound is very dominant in this, much the way it is in the Phil Lesh & Friends' There & Back Again album (one of the other bands Warren's in, along with Gov't Mule). Highlights for me are probably Maydell and Instrumental Illness.

In addition to those three, also had these in fairly heavy rotation:

The Thrills - So Much For The City: Like this one more with each listen.
    Mercury Rev - Deserters Songs: Good summertime vibe going with this one.
    Ramones - Anthology: Great compilation including all their greats!
    Undertones - True Confessions: Singles & B sides comp. Excellent!
    Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables: Classic, got this out of the library and will definitely be buying it. Holiday In Cambodia is an all-time punk classic.
    Walter Trout Band - Live: No More Fish Jokes: Going to see this great guitarist in October, awesome musician.
    Led Zeppelin - BBC Sessions: Not played in a while, but some brilliant stuff on here.

A few bits I intend on getting:

Warren Zevon - The Wind
    Allmans - Live At The Fillmore East (Deluxe 2CD edition)
    North Mississippi Allstars - Polaris
    Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won (I must be the only one who hasn't got it that likes LZ!)
    Eugene "Hideaway" Bridges - Jump The Joint

ilockyer, Aug 22, 2003
  2. ilockyer

badchamp Thermionic Member

I've got The Thrills album too and I really can't make my mind up about it. Its a bit too "lightweight" for me I think.

I've not got the Zep album either. So yer not alone there :D

My new albums this month: Ryan Adams - Gold. Cant decide on this one either :rolleyes:

New Meat Loaf album - for the GF. Haven't heard it yet - fortunately it disappeared straight into her car:D

ACDC - Powerage - nostalgia rules OK !!
    Rainbow - Rising - ditto

Cheap month for me this one:) - just as well just lost my wallet and all me cards :mad:

badchamp, Aug 22, 2003
  3. ilockyer

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Took you long enough dude - a corking album (sound quality aside!).

Play ethnicky jazz
    to impress your snazz
    on your five grand stereo

domfjbrown, Aug 22, 2003
  4. ilockyer

My name is Ron It is, it really is

Kings of Leon 'Youth & Young Manhood'
    A guitar-driven, whiskey-fuelled stomp-fest with beards. Rocks like a monkey on Sunny Delight, but hardly the second coming. Well-played, well-recorded, fun while it lasts.

Kraftwerk 'Tour de France Soundtracks'
    Men or machines? Bikes, actually. Hardly essential, but who cares when tracks like 'Vitamin' and 'Elektro Kardiogramm' justify the entrance fee on their own. The recording is of the underwear-shifting variety.

Neil Young 'On the Beach'
    Forty minutes or so of classic 70's disillusionment. Great songs, fantastically loose playing, beautifully remastered (in HDCD). What more do you want for £7.99?

Gene Clark 'No Other'
    More 70s wigging-out, from the Byrds' original front man. Light as a feather and yet strangely intense, it's rock but not as we know it. Takes time, though at £7.99 it's another steal.

The Byrds 'Sweetheart of the Rodeo'
    The record that invented country rock. Highlights include the Dylan-penned opener 'You Ain't Going Nowhere' and Gram Parsons' bleary rendition of 'You're Still on My Mind'. A total joy.

Ulrich Schnauss 'Lonely Isolated Place'
    Another German and his keyboards, this time taking a more ambient path by way of Krautrock, the Cocteau Twins and euphoric trance (I think). Good for a night in.

Sigur Ros 'Agaetis Byrjun'
    Transmuting aural landscapes or mumbling sonic flatulence? The latter to these ears. A few jokes might have helped. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

My name is Ron, Aug 22, 2003
  5. ilockyer

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

Re: Re: August's Most Listened To?

One of those I'd been meaning to get a copy of for ages, and I've not seen it in any record store in town for reasonable money... believe it or not, they were playing the weekend we were in London for Bren's party and we missed out :(

ilockyer, Aug 22, 2003
  6. ilockyer

sideshowbob Trisha

Just about everything I can get my hands on by Rahsaan Roland Kirk.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Aug 22, 2003
Ask a Question