aura 50 & demanding dyns

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bobby, Jan 9, 2004.

1. bobby

bobby

I bought an Aura AV50 integrated amp 2nd hand a few years ago. It has worked perfectly well, but does get hot. I'm now looking to upgrade my system. Have already bought some dynaudio 72 4 ohm l/r speakers (which the Aura drives for audio and l/r in AV system). The Aura worked well with these speakers in the shop. However, i hear that these dyns need lots of amp to drive them. But i don't even know the wattage on the amp. In fact, I'm completely lacking in any info on the Aura (it was popular in the mid-90s apparently). Has anybody got any data/opinion on the Aura amp. Is it going to be enough to drive these speakers? What other amp would anybody recommend? Thanks

bobby, Jan 9, 2004
  2. bobby

Lord .

Hi,
    I used to own one of these Amps in the mid 90s I bought it new for £225, I think that they were rated (or measured in a review?) at 65wpc. My mate managed to blow it up by plugging the headphone output of a Sega Megadrive into it whilst it was still under warranty and after the factory rebuild it completely lacked any bass!
    The VA100 was the one to have, beefier power supply, binding posts, etc, etc. I replaced it with a 25wpc Audio Innovations s500 which 'destroyed' it ;). I got about £80 for it when I finally sold it a few years ago.

Lord, Jan 9, 2004
Ask a Question