Autumn

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Active Hiatus, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Active Hiatus

Active Hiatus

We haven't seen the sun for several weeks so yesterday I decided to get out of the house and go for a short walk. Despite the lack of sun the autumn colours were still awesome. Not the brilliant vivid hues of turning leaves when in full sunlight but muted pastel colours. A subtle palette of beautiful complexity.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2005
    Active Hiatus, Oct 22, 2005
  2. Active Hiatus

badchamp Thermionic Member

Hey, great shots !

Where where they taken?

Jeff

badchamp, Oct 22, 2005
  3. Active Hiatus

auric FOSS

Where is the best arboretum to be found? I know Kew is a garden but I reckon it is near the top of most people's list.

auric, Nov 4, 2005
  4. Active Hiatus

GAZZ

Its been the warm this autumn, the leaves are still on the trees and its mid november!

GAZZ, Nov 13, 2005
  5. Active Hiatus

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Its a weird autumn. Leaves still on the trees. Our crocuses have started coming up and apparently at the nearby nature reserve the ducks have had more ducklings (can't imagine them surviving the winter sadly)

Uncle Ants, Nov 13, 2005
  6. Active Hiatus

auric FOSS

Those photos remind me of long gone holidays spent either under canvas or as a guest in the often sparten SYHA hostels dotted across the lowlands, highlands and Islands of Scotland. Happy days ndeed. :)

auric, Nov 13, 2005
  7. Active Hiatus

la toilette Downright stupid

I do hope so, it seems like forever since I saw a decent fall of snow, my eldest kid is 5 and has never seen more than an inch or two of snow - mind you, Somerset is not exactly the frozen north I suppose.....

They are nice pics btw, almost inspires me to update my aged digi camera with a half-decent one...

la toilette, Nov 14, 2005
  8. Active Hiatus

Well I'm off to see parents up a Inverness this weekend. I'll give you a snow up date :D

badchamp, Nov 14, 2005
  9. Active Hiatus

mr cat Member of the month

hi folks - when i woke up yesterday - there was a touch of snow on the ground...just a tiny bit, but it was enough to impress my new girlfriend who originates from Kent... ;)

mr cat, Nov 17, 2005
  10. Active Hiatus

Went Crianlarich way on the West Highland Way a couple of years back. Stunning. Mind you so was most of the walk.

Jeff

badchamp, Nov 17, 2005
  11. Active Hiatus

auric FOSS

Paul, I see from your photos and your photo you are an iceman so I wondered if you listened to the latest edtion of The Material World Radio4 as it covered work and research carried out on the clothing used by George Mallory when attempting Everast. I seemed a lot better that had been thought.

You should be available via the listen again link for the next few days

auric, Nov 18, 2005
  12. Active Hiatus

auric FOSS

My friends who do stalking, shooting, beating and things tend to stick with natural materials that don't make too much sound when walking but they all find the Gortex type boot is a winner for most UK lowland conditions. I expect that not everyone who dons a brightly coloured Gortex outer shell from NevisSport (still going?) does enough work to drive the perspiration out through the semi-permeable outer skin. On the other hand for fishing where not too much heat is generated I tend to use layers of silk or wool plus a bit of padding followed with an outer Gortex shell to keep out the wind and rain. I was well impressed with the kit used on the Everest expedition, not too shabby at all and based a lot of the time on the Arctic and Antarctic explorers of the previous generation.

auric, Nov 18, 2005
  13. Active Hiatus

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I did that one time. Couldn't get into it the next morning because the doors froze shut.

Was -4 or -5 here last night, will be a bit colder tonight. Was below freezing on my way home from work, and it was still light then.

I-S, Nov 18, 2005
  14. Active Hiatus

auric FOSS

New old kit to be tested on the mountain, a follow up from last week.

auric, Nov 25, 2005
Ask a Question