AV processor - a downgrade ?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by liffy99, Mar 4, 2010.

1. liffy99

liffy99

Hi
    The heart of my current set up is Lyngdorf all-digital amplification. I'm only worried about 2 channel stereo and best quality audio I can get. My music is all hard disc based (FLAC) and fed to the Lyngdorf via a Squeezebox SB3. I also have a Somy PS3, Wii and Freesat PVR feeding the amp via a variety of connections (spdif rca and via optical to RCA spdif converters (there are NO analogue inputs on the amp).
    It's all getting to be a bit of a rats nest of wiring and there are other foibles (like not being able to turn off BBC HD audio subtitles without the Freesat box resorting to Dolby Digital output which the amp can't process - it only accepts normal PCM).
    So I'm looking at options;
    1) Add an intelligent switching box like the ones Octava make to at least tidy up the inputs although this would offer no processing capability as such for any future flexibility.
    2) Add an AV processor with an SPDIF / RCA output to feed the amp. All sources could then be connected to the processor.
    3) Ditch the Lyngdorfs and succumb to the industry bullying of forcing me to buy an AV receiver so I can get the connectivity (and potential for future expansion) I need.

Problem is I love the Lyngdorf's sound and feel AV kit (£say £2-3k region for an AV receiver) would be a downgrade in the audio department. Also, as all my music is digitally stored I like the Lyngdorf ethos of keeping things in the digital domain right up until the conversion to drive the speakers. I'm a little unsure whether AV processors and receivers do this or they all involve converting signals from digital to analogue and back agin.

Any suggestions - especially about any recommended kit ? Speakers by the way are Perigee FK1s which I currently bi-amp although they are fairly efficient at a quoted 92db/watt.

Cheers

liffy99, Mar 4, 2010
  2. liffy99

Noel Winters

HI liffy99
    I am only interested in analog i dont know if it will be of any interest to you. i have had several AV receivers present one a NAD 785 Quite a big amp. Using it for music T/T
    Phono Amp into the NAD using it as a Pre Amp then into my
    Power amp a Anthem Stero Amp 200 WPC. Speakers are a pair
    of Wharfedale Opus 3 quite a large unit. I have all good equpt.
    SME 309 Arm Thorens 850 T/T Origin live Ultra Motor KIT
    Shark Wire Interconnects Kimber Cables and a few top line
    Cartridges.i am only trying to show you that you can get good results using an AV receiver also great for Movies if that interests you a good Wife pleaser bye more gear no troubles
    Noel W.

Noel Winters, Mar 5, 2010
  3. liffy99

Mr_Sukebe

Liffy>
    If you love what your Lyndorf does, then don't give in to some yawnable box covered in buttons and flashing lights. I just don't expect it to satisfy you.
    I can't think of many processors that have a digital output that might be suitable for direct input into your Lyndorf.

A possible solution is a Meridian box. I believe that some of them have the option of digital outputs for fronts, rears etc. These were designed for use with their own DSP active speakers, but it might be possible to use the digital output into your Lyndorf.
    The Meridian processor might also be able to downmix a DD 5.1 signal and push out just stereo, would be worth asking on the Meridian forums about that, or have a scan for a PDF of a manual for something like a Meridian 568 or 565.

Mr_Sukebe, Mar 5, 2010
Ask a Question