AV Processor

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mr_Sukebe, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Chaps,

I'm thinking of adding a power amp onto the back end of my Nait in the near future (probably a 200).
    From reading around the subject, I see that I can actually use the Nait as a pre for the 200, and then in AV mode, independantly also use the Naits internal power amp to run either my centre, or more probably my rear speakers.

From several listening tests, I've found that not only does my AV amp have fairly rubbish power amps, but also that it's somewhat second rate as a pre-amp (hardly unexpected given the price).

So, what I'm interested in is a sensible money (ie. preferably a good deal under a grand) AV processor capable of outputting 5.1 channels (as a min) with DD, DTS and DPL2 capability.
    Now if a full blown AV amp had full pre-outs and was good as a pre-amp, that would fit the bill nicely. I get the impression that it's likely to require a standalone model.
    My prefered option would be an AV2, but frankly I don't have the £2200 required.

Mr_Sukebe, Nov 14, 2003
  2. Mr_Sukebe

merlin

Mike,

I am very happy with the Rotel Integrated. Perfectly good enough for AV, I just can't see the point in spending more. It has pre-outs, 5.1 channel bypass, the power amps on board are musical, and it has most of the latest decoding algorythmns.

New costs about £1200, a bloody bargain in my book. I previously had the Meridian 568.2, prior to that I had the Tag and a Lexicon DC2. Unless movie watching is an absolute passion and you have a projector with a 6 foot screen, the Rotel is IMO more than up to the task.

merlin, Nov 14, 2003
  3. Mr_Sukebe

michaelab desafinado

And if you really don't need the amps on the Rotel RSX-1055 you can always get just the processor, the Rotel RSP-1066 which retails for around £1100 which many people rate very highly.

Other processor around that price range is the Cyrus AV8 which also had some pretty good reviews and might have a more "flat earth" sound than the Rotel allthough I'm not sure whether that's appropriate for movie soundtracks!

Both might be available 2nd hand. Their predecessors the RSP-998 (I think) and the Cyrus AV5 can be had for well under £1K but neither of them has DPLII.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 14, 2003
  4. Mr_Sukebe

Matt F

This might be of interest if you are after a fine AV processor.

Myryad's MDP500 processor is very highly regarded at £1800 and has pretty much everying you're after apart from DPLII. From what I have read it's pretty much up their with the Tag AV32R i.e. it's a fine processor and a very decent 2 channel pre-amp.

On top of this, for £900 you can upgrade it to the (£2600) MDP600 G6 processor which has all the extras EX/ES DPLII etc.

Now, before you say - "Very nice but I don't have £1800 to spend", note that Radford HiFi in Bristol have an ex-dem one going for £850. Yes, that's £850 for a processor that is a fair step up from the Rotel/Cyrus processors.

Hope this helps.

Matt.

Matt F, Nov 14, 2003
  5. Mr_Sukebe

julian2002 Muper Soderator

mike,
    keep the front speakers as similar as possible so i'd say bi-amp the center using the nait.
    what do you want to do with the multichannel stuff? if it's just watch movies then a cheapo marantz from richers will do all you ask for 200 notes. if you want sacd and dvd-a(snigger) then obviously something better would be better but ask yourself how much will you listen to 5.1 music vs 2.0?
    the problems start when you want to listen to cd's with DPL2 processing. i think the nait's av input is actually an av loop so if you play the cd and hit the mon (monitor NOT mono) button on the nait 5 it may do it if you've also selected the correct input on the av amp - if you see what i mean?

cheers

julian

julian2002, Nov 14, 2003
  6. Mr_Sukebe

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

The MDP500 has some pretty serious reliability issues, as does the matching MDV500 DVD player.

And yes, that's from personal experience of more than one unit. I'm really not that impressed with it...

I-S, Nov 14, 2003
  7. Mr_Sukebe

dunkyboy

You can pick up a Meridian 565 or Lexicon DC-2 for under £800. Both top notch processors from a few years back, so if you're not too fussed about all the latest whizz-bang decoding features (DPLII, 7.1, etc) and just want top notch 5.1 sound quality, they should fit the bill nicely.

Dunc

dunkyboy, Nov 14, 2003
  8. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Thanks for the replies so far.

I already have a Marantz SR4300, and really don't want to lose the DPL2 functionality.

The processor would be used solely for films. I've tried multichannel music, and frankly think it's a waste of space.
    My fronts now match up very well, all having the same treble unit for one thing.
    I'm trying to find some rears to match, (i.e. another cheapy pair of kabers), not that straightforward though.

My reason for wanting to do this, is that I'm guessing I'm missing out on quite a lot of additional sound quality whilst watching films. Frankly I'm not sure I want to spend the extra cash, and don't know how much better a dedicated processor would be over my existing Marantz unit, I guess I was hoping that I'd getting a better feel from feedback from you chaps.

Mr_Sukebe, Nov 14, 2003
  9. Mr_Sukebe

michaelab desafinado

Mike - I'm using a Marantz SR4200 for AV duties (pre-outs to my main system for the fronts and it handles the centre and rears) and I'm pretty happy with it. I have pondered getting a processor such as the Rotel and a 3ch. power amp but it's a lot of money for what would probably be not a huge improvement (AV fans would no doubt beg to differ!)

My first priority anyway is to replace my Tannoy center and surround speakers with Dynaudios (Audience 42C and 42) so they match my fronts (well, as close as I can get without spending a bundle) but even that has taken a back seat when I think about what I could on my stereo system (or even other things entirely) with that money.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 14, 2003
  10. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Michael,

I'd expect your 4200 to be very similar in capability to my 4300.

When I add the new power amp to my Nait, I'll only need another one channel of power amplification to allow me to use a standalone processor, hence why it suddenly sounds a more possible option.

From what I've heard of the 4300, the pre-amp sections seem to be pretty much inline with what you'd expect from a cheapy AV amp, i.e not too hot. So I think there is a good potential for quite a large improvement to enjoyment with films.

Mr_Sukebe, Nov 14, 2003
  11. Mr_Sukebe

julian2002 Muper Soderator

mike,
    ulimately ac3 and dts are compressed formats so you're never going to dig up the kind of detail that you get from a music only format. also dpl2 processing adc's then dac's your sound so again quality will be compromised (unless the sound comes in from an digi link in which case you're still going through the processors dacs and analogue output sages).
    to be honest the marantz is a good avp. given your not interested in multichannel music yet. i'd spend the money on a new pre and power you could easily pickup an 82 and a 180 or maybe even an 82 and a 250 / flatcap for about 2k - this would include the money you're set to spend on a 200. you could then use the nait as a center amp or even sell that and use the money + a bit to get a couple of 140's and relegate your marantz to pure processor only.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Nov 14, 2003
Ask a Question