AV question : HDMI cable question.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Pure_Carbon, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Pure_Carbon

Pure_Carbon Diamond Tipped.

I've just bought a hard drive recorder / DVD player with HDMI out connections.
    My Sagem HD D45 TV has HDMI in's.
    Up until now i've used the three Component video cables , will an HDMI cable improve the picture over that of the component video cables?
    Thanks.

Pure_Carbon, Apr 8, 2008
  2. Pure_Carbon

Telkman Nurturing Malevolence

Short answer: It's dependant on the equipment in question.

Long answer: Discussed to death on AV forums, but here's an example - http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/122868.html

My choice at home: I found the difference to be negligible, so I went with HDMI for the sake of tidyness!

Telkman, Apr 8, 2008
  3. Pure_Carbon

The cost doesn't seem to be that excessive for a 1m HDMI cable, so I' guess I might as well spring for one and try them both in an A/B.
    The blurb says the HDMI upscaling on the DVD player will upscale the image to Hi Def quality using the HDMI outputs, which I guess means it won't do that using the component outs?

Pure_Carbon, Apr 8, 2008
  4. Pure_Carbon

Telkman Nurturing Malevolence

I'm no expert in these things, but it probably won't upscale for component, but your TV will take a variety of input resolutions and upscale/adapt them to it's own resolution anyway!

Whilst I would assume it's unlikely, depending on the TV, it may just display the 480p signal from component input rather than upscaling, so you'd obviously want to go for the HDMI in that case!

If you test each cable, you can have a look at what works best - letting the TV or the DVD upscale - chances are the difference will again be negligible unless either has particularly poor upscaling!

Telkman, Apr 8, 2008
  5. Pure_Carbon

brca Rookie

As far as I know, component cable can "transport" max. 1080i signal and only video, whereas HDMI goes up to full HD resolution of 1080P, + it transfers also audio signal in all possible formats (DD, DTS, ...)
    Do not forget that HDMI cables have different versions, such as, 1.1, 1.2 and the newest one is 1.3, which is capable of transferring all known and newest audio formats for home cinema

brca, Apr 8, 2008
  6. Pure_Carbon

Just an update for those who may be interested:

HDMI 1.3 cable arrived and installed last night.
    Test DVD : Led Zeppelin DVD , Disc 2 Knebworth footage.

Images were sharper and more defined, you can see the grain on Jimmys Les Paul , and the sound quality certainly had more depth it.
    For me, the HDMI cable is a step up from the Component cables.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2008
    Pure_Carbon, Apr 12, 2008
  7. Pure_Carbon

Jimbo

Zep at Knebworth, i remember it well. It was one of the hottest days of the decade i think. Did you go? Oh enjoy your dvd and hi def.

Jimbo, Apr 12, 2008
  8. Pure_Carbon

Sadly not, saw them at Earls Court on the Physical Graffiti "tour" , Sat. May 17th 1975, Block 78 Row K42, Gallery £1.50 , just checked my ticket stub :)

Pure_Carbon, Apr 12, 2008
  9. Pure_Carbon

vanguard

YOu can not go wrong with updating to HDMI especailly for 1080P tru HD. When more native sources are at 1080P you will begin to see visual difference between HDMI and component.
    HDMI is all digital and inherently 100% exact duplicate of the original filming. As close to perfect as you can get.

vanguard, May 21, 2008
Ask a Question