av receiver

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by cat, Jul 3, 2004.

1. cat

cat

just got myself one of them pioneer av receivers with rds radio etc, wasnt` much money so i thought "what the hell, it`ll do for the odd movie"
    i`ve set it up using some spare mission m71`s i had as rears with some qed anniversary cable under the flooring BUT (question is probably a stupid bumb arse one) can i run speaker cable from the terminal of the av receivers `front speaker` output and connect it to my hi-fi speakers ASWELL as having the speaker cable from my hi-fi connected at the same time so that i could use the receiver`s speaker outputs for films and leave my hi-fi turned off insteads of trying to match the volume levels of my hi-fi and the receiver`s surround speakers when watching a movie and just leave the av receiver turned off when i`m listening to a cd through my hi-fi?

cat, Jul 3, 2004
  2. cat

julian2002 Muper Soderator

this isn't usually a good idea, there's a big chance of forgetting and frying something. most modern av amps have a 'pre-out' for the front channels. the better solution would be to use these connected to a spare input on your pre / integrated, select a reasonable volume level on your hi-fi kit and use the av amps individual channel attenuation to match the levels of all the speakers. alternatively your hi-fi amp may have a a/v bypass or unity gain facility which makes this sort of thing a breeze.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 4, 2004
  3. cat

andrew1810

It is possible with a system switching unit such as the QED MA19, I tried it for a while but couldn't be bothered with remembering to switch all of the time.

I think they are now discontinued but I am sure someone here will know of an alternative, could try ebay but I just sold mine for an almost silly £22!!!

Hope this helps

Andrew

andrew1810, Jul 4, 2004
Ask a Question