AV Surround Setup :(

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by thespirit3, Apr 23, 2004.

1. thespirit3

thespirit3

Hi All,

After many years of battling to keep the hifi in the living room, I've finally accepted that we just don't listen to music anymore. If we're in the living room, the TV's on ... and my old Tannoy's hardly ever get pushed nowadays (have you heard the horrid audio quality of Sky recently?!).

So, we're now looking at decorating the living room - and as part of this we're intending to go for a LCD/Plasma TV, and in an attempt to create more floorspace we're looking at ditching the floorstanders. So, I figure I might as well just get a 6.1 setup.

Now, given we only really watch TV (and a few movies from DVD) I'm a bit hesitant about going out and spending a huge amount on surround speakers. But I am aware that some makes (such as Eltax) which a few years ago would have been laughed at, now seem to get some respect - despite being at the budget end of the market.

I guess what I'm asking is - what money will I have to spend to get reasonable 6.1 performance? I'm not looking at something to meet my audiophile standards (I can do this elsewhere!) - this is purely just as a functional sound system for TV and movies.

I'm thinking along the lines of the packages available ... Eltax, Mission, Kef? And ideally looking for the whole set for <£500 (£300 would be ideal). I'll get a decent amp, as then I can always upgrade the speakers later ...

Any advice would be very much appreciated. I've not bought any audio gear for 5 years or so now ... so am a little out of touch :)

Thanks all,

Steve
    Bristol, UK

thespirit3, Apr 23, 2004
  2. thespirit3

FluffUser

Steve,
    There's a powerbuy on avtalk.co.uk of a Velodyne Deco 5.1 sub/sat set from £1000+ down to about £550, yes including the active sub.

They are getting great reviews by previous purchasers. I'm toying with a set for my living room, although I'd need a 5-channel amp too, etc, etc.

Eric who runs the forum is just off the M25 north/west junctions. I'd have thought it would be a simple run from Bristol for a demo if you can arrange one.

My main av system and associated floorstanders are also kicked out to their own room now!

regards,
    Rob.

FluffUser, Apr 23, 2004
  3. thespirit3

ditton happy old soul

I bought the Gallo Nucleus Micros as surrounds, with Gallo A'Diva as centre. Very discrete and effective, with Velo VX-10 as active sub.

ditton, Apr 24, 2004
Ask a Question