AVG free Anti virus - problems updating

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sid and Coke, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Sid and Coke

Sid and Coke

I have decided to give this AntiVirus software package a go on my lads computer. I am having trouble updating it though. I am sure this is just a simple matter of configuring the internet connection settings for the programme , but I've been unable to do it so so far.

I keep getting an error message avginet- internet connection failed ( or words to that effect.

I did manage to get it to connect the very first time we installed the software , but have been unable to ever since.

I have BT-Yahoo Broadband (1 meg) and my lads computer is connected to a two computer network via a ASDL Moden/Router, his Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, etc, work just fine getting onto the internet is no problem at all so i know the connection can be made just not sure how to do it with this software.

Are there any other users out there with similar Internet connections to mine and what settings do you use ?

(I have asked same question in other places to try and get maximum idea's )

Sid and Coke, Jan 28, 2005
  2. Sid and Coke

BlueMax

I have been using AVG for 3 years now. Had no probs running it or with updating latest database.

Have you tried downloading from http://www.grisoft.com and saving the .exe file to hard drive and then running it?

You will also get a serial number and a text file with instructions.

BlueMax, Jan 28, 2005
  3. Sid and Coke

Sid and Coke

Yeah, I've managed to update it manually by saving the update files to a folder on my HDD, not exactly the fit and forget option i was looking for though, after all the glowing recommedations. Looking at the supprt forum it would seem i'm not alone. Hopefully this is just a glitch, I've read that it might be an overload problem with their (freebie) update servers. I think paying customers get a better deal.

Sid and Coke, Jan 28, 2005
  4. Sid and Coke

robert_cyrus

never had an issue, is your problem particular to grisoft ?
    btw there's a new download now, they dropped the "register your email address and we send you a reg code" bit

robert_cyrus, Jan 29, 2005
  5. Sid and Coke

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Grisoft were having problems over the weekend. It's still a little slow but it is working again now.

technobear, Jan 31, 2005
  6. Sid and Coke

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

Same here. There were problems but mine updated this am.

LiloLee, Jan 31, 2005
Ask a Question