avi cd

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by banpe2006, May 4, 2008.

1. banpe2006

banpe2006

Noticing the ad in the private classifieds, does anyone know of this player and its strengths / weaknesses? Lefty , are you there??do you have this?

banpe2006, May 4, 2008
  2. banpe2006

Bourney

i have the lab series one, not sure what the one in the classifieds is i cant find it??!?!

anyway i had a Rega jupiter for a few years, tried loads of cd spinners and i couldnt bring myself to part with it as nothing offered any benefits..until i tried the Avi, which is just a great alrounder,weightier sound than the Rega and more punch. not fussy at all, looks great and is well built. Not sure whereabout is the west mids you are, i am in stoke, if its not far you would be welcome to a try in your system. the only cd player that would tempt me away at the mo for similar money used is a Naim cdx,( i borrowed a friends a few days ago) it isnt better but has a slightly different balance that may suit my new overly warm room.

Bourney, May 5, 2008
  3. banpe2006

stephen

Everywhere at the moment eh...
    Consider before you buy that it is irrepairable - as laser mechs have gone out of production <rolleyes>
    You would be much better off (apparently) buying an Ipod and shoving it through a certain pair of speakers?

stephen, May 5, 2008
  4. banpe2006

banpe2006

cheers bourney - i think its the newer one and they offer a spare laser unit....not bad at the price.

banpe2006, May 5, 2008
  5. banpe2006

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

If you get it I would definately get the spare laser mech as I remember Ashley of AVI banging on at length about Phillips discontinuing the mech - this I interpreted as meaning 'we aint got any spares so if it goes wrong you are on your own', he also seemed to imply that they do go wrong.

YNMOAN, May 6, 2008
Ask a Question