ayre phono stage

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by anon_bb, Jul 19, 2006.

1. anon_bb

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Dragging up an old thread - I just wondered if this event happened, and generally what people think of the Ayre K1-xe and TVCs it was played alongside, as I'm interested in the Ayre and these things currently. Apologies if this is under a different thread.

SteveC, Dec 20, 2006
  2. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

I contacted jrmanders a while back but as yet have had no reply. I am very much looking forward to hearing it still!

anon_bb, Dec 20, 2006
  3. anon_bb

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

OK thanks for putting me in the picture. I'm gathering info on line level preamps and alternatives such as TVCs to see what I can find that's better than no preamp at all to drive a pair of valve amps. I'll await developments then :)

SteveC, Dec 20, 2006
  4. anon_bb

gramophone

The Ayre P-5xe has been reviewed in HFN back in the good old days, it was sent up against a £5K Klyne and was only slightly bettered by the £5K unit.

I heard this at a dealer around 6 months ago, and it killed the Tom Evans Micro groove stage it was up against. It's incredibly quiet, dynamic and very easy to listen to even on less than great vinyl. I haven't heard it fully balanced (balanced in and out) but single ended in to balanced out was very impressive. Sonner or later I might find myself going back for one of these.

Cheers,

Pete

gramophone, Dec 21, 2006
  5. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

Was it reviewed in balanced operation? Its meant to be a lot better.

anon_bb, Dec 21, 2006
  6. anon_bb

gramophone

Hi,

It was reviewed in single in to single out, single in to balanced out, and balanced in/out, and it was found to be significantly better run fully balanced.

When you think about all the RFI / EMI crap in the environment today this makes total sense, and I know that Ayre equipment is designed to run fully balanced from end to end. I have been sufficiently impressed by what I heard from the phono stage as to investigate the idea of trying out an Ayre pre / power combo. I am amazed this equipment isn't much better thought of over here. It really doesn't seem to get that much coverage.

Peter

gramophone, Dec 22, 2006
Ask a Question