Back in business :-)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Dynamic Turtle, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Dynamic Turtle

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

OK so it looks like I'm economically viable again and won't have to sell or rent my apartment out after all. However, I had to sell pretty much everything to maintain my independence and have luckily had a job offer from a solid outfit that means I can stay put and rebuild the hifi slowly. DT Plc's balance is still in a parlous state, so I can't go in all-guns blazing with the kind of system I had before sadly. I need your some help with some budget gems. I'm thinking circa £500 per component, or £750 if I forego a dedicated SACDP. Happy to buy old gear from early noughties or late nineties.

TT - need to have the works, including arm & cart. 33 & 45 rpm ideally, but I can live without 45rpm for now.
    Integrated amplifier - needs an onboard MM phono stage, remote control and (possibly) a 16/44 SPDIF DAC. The latter is very optional though.
    Speakers - would prefer bookshelves at this price point and something easy to drive given the limitations of cheap amps. Perhaps something from revolver or usher? I think £500 floorstanders will be a sonic compromise too far, but correct me if I'm wrong.
    SACDP - optional full stop. I have an old philips dvd963sa universal player, but it's a bit fussy reading sacd these days. It's a pain using a dvdp without a screen too...

Suggestions please!

Many thanks,
    DT

Dynamic Turtle, Nov 22, 2011
  2. Dynamic Turtle

RobHolt Moderator

Glad you are back in business :)

TT - there is a nice Rega P25 over on pfm in the classified for £350. Stick a new Denon DL110 on it.

For the amp you should find a late Audiolab 8000A for around £200. Good MM/MC stage built in.

For loudspeakers I'd look out for some Epos ES11 or ES12. Again around £200 should find you a nice pair. Choice here is hugely subjective though. If you prefer something lighter and leaner, try a pair of Rega R1 or RS1.

For the disc spinner, go for something from one of the big Japanese brands - Pioneer and Sony have good reputations in this area.

RobHolt, Nov 23, 2011
  3. Dynamic Turtle

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Hi Rob,

Sadly the P25 is in Rose wood, which is going to clash badly with the rest of the decor.

Audiolab noted - already on the shortlist. They don't have a great sonic reputation though. Never heard anyone "enthuse" about them.

Sorted on the speaker front now thanks. Picked up some random floorstanders for £450. They'll probably sound terrible...

Dynamic Turtle, Nov 23, 2011
  4. Dynamic Turtle

Jimbo

The ES11's that Rob mentioned would be a good start but the Aurousal A1's that replaced mine beat them in every department. Should get a second hand pair in your budget.

Jimbo, Nov 23, 2011
Ask a Question