Balance imput/outputs

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Ya-Boo, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Ya-Boo

Ya-Boo

May be obvious to some on here but genuine enquiry all the same

what are the benefits ? is there a downside?

can you retro-fit balanced connections to an older amp with only rca?

what part of the chain benefits most from balanced?

finally what does AES/ AEU stand for ?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2003
    Ya-Boo, Nov 4, 2003
  2. Ya-Boo

Lt Cdr Data om

benefits....its usually like 2 inputs of an op-amp, 1 +, 1 -ve, and this will cancel noise and things, so theoretically, better...in practise?

you can fit in place of phonos, but you will have to solder the other input to ground, which probably negates the advantages....its in the input/ouput circuit topology.

Usually, the low levels are meant to benefit most. AFAIK, there are no balanced phono stages, maybe in USA, this seems illogical as theoretically the biggest gains to be had here..

I am not entirely sure of the terminology...ie difference between balanced, push-pull and differential...anyone care to enlighten me?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2003
    Lt Cdr Data, Nov 4, 2003
  3. Ya-Boo

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

2 main bouns, lower noise floor and output up by up to +6db (providing it's a true balanced dual differencial circuit), you will need to make a balanced input/output stage in the amp, I have a circuit diagram I can give you, but it's at work :)
    Forget adaptors and such like, although Neutrik do a balanced line convertor it's about £100 from RS
    Personaly, it's easier to design an amp from scratch, then cobble something (no matter how good) that wasn't designed to be there in the first place (WM view)
    You could use those nice BB Buf 634's fab things drive 1/4 amp over 30 or so foot, even drive a speaker I reckon, but remember 2 needed per channel

wadia-miester, Nov 4, 2003
  4. Ya-Boo

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Another benefit is that for any given amplifier(in the output stage) you can double the slew rate, although you require twice as many amps to do so (and for the same reason (ie signals driving in opposite directions) bridging does the same thing in power amps).

I-S, Nov 4, 2003
  5. Ya-Boo

sideshowbob Trisha

There's a few. They tend to be on the ever-so-expensive side, however.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Nov 4, 2003
  6. Ya-Boo

HenryT

A guy in the States I just sold my XLR Acoustic Zen Matrix Reference i/c to plans to use it on his balanced phono stage, an Audio Research PH2.

The only non States-side balanced phono stage I can think of is the one made by Chord (of DAC64 fame).

HenryT, Nov 4, 2003
Ask a Question