Balanced and Unbalanced??

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Nils, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Nils

Nils

Hi,

I've got a sugden preamp with both balanced and unbalanced outputs, and have generally just run it to the power amp using a set of XLR cables.

Anyway, I got some RCA cables from Zanash the other day, and so managed to get both the power amp connected and my sub. Unfortunately, I had to send the cables to a friend, so replaced them with the balanced cables. Bizarrely, the sub seemed to still be playing.

I was under the impression that preamps tend to run either in balanced mode, or unbalanced; The instruction manual certainly suggests it. So - does this mean that i'm currently running two circuits in the preamp, and will it be damaging over time?

Nils

Nils, Jan 16, 2006
  2. Nils

zanash

I think some gear that runs balanced unbalanced provides the output signal to both sets of sockets regardless. If your interested in a custom set of xlr's ....you know where to find me !

zanash, Jan 16, 2006
Ask a Question