Balanced Input

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bobby, Feb 3, 2004.

1. bobby

bobby

Please forgive my ignorance

I've got rega planet cd, dynaudios 72, krell kav300i set-up.

I want to upgrade cables. Currently using not great unbalanced i/c.

But Krell has balanced inputs. Should my upgrade be balanced or unbalanced cable.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of balanced/unbalanced?

thanks

bobby, Feb 3, 2004
  2. bobby

michaelab desafinado

I assume the Planet has balance outputs?

The main benefit of balanced cables is over long runs where there rejection of noise and interference becomes important.

Over short distances I think there really isn't much in it. Differences are often due as much to how well the balanced inputs/outputs are implemented rather than any intrinsic benefit of using balanced cables.

FWIW when I demo'd the Krell KAV-400xi at home with my DAC64 and Dynaudio Contour 1.3MkIIs I tried hooking up the DAC with balanced and unbalanced cables and I found unbalanced to be a little better. More dynamic and more life.

I've heard other people comment that balanced cabled can often take a bit of life and dynamics out of the system. Experimenting is the only way to tell for sure though.

Michael.

michaelab, Feb 3, 2004
  3. bobby

penance Arrogant Cock

AFAIK the Planet does not have balanced output, well the Jupiter certainly doesnt so i doubt its little brother would

penance, Feb 3, 2004
  4. bobby

michaelab desafinado

In which case (no balanced outputs) it's definitely not worth trying to get a RCA -> balanced cable. Just stick with RCA.

Michael.

michaelab, Feb 3, 2004
Ask a Question