Balanced Interconnect advice please

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by juboy, Feb 13, 2004.

1. juboy

juboy

I've just purchased a Classe CDP .5 CD player to partner my Krell KAV300i amp.

As the Classe allows me to take advantage of the balanced inputs on the Krell, I need a new cable. Anyone got any suggestions as to (a) which cable would be a good bet (<£100) and (b) somewhere online that actually sells them.

TIA :)

juboy, Feb 13, 2004
  2. juboy

penance Arrogant Cock

3. juboy

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

JB, I believe scropion cables are fair, might be worth a shot I reckon, else some starquad will be more than apt :)

wadia-miester, Feb 13, 2004
  4. juboy

joel Shaman of Signals

As long as you aren't paying 100quid a metre for it :rolleyes:
    Mic cable terminated with ITT or soundcraft XLRs is fine. Take a trip down to your local pro audio / instrument dealer for short pre-terminated lengths.

joel, Feb 13, 2004
  5. juboy

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I don't understand this 100m M.O.Q.?, we've got meters of the stuff :rolleyes: maplins sell the stuff by the meter off the roll.
    You could even ask RS for a sample ;)

wadia-miester, Feb 13, 2004
  6. juboy

juboy

Thanks for the replies. I've sent a mail to Paul at Scorpion to see if they'll make up an XLR terminated I/C for me.

Being totally new to the balanced connection side of things, could someone tell me what the advantages are? I know there's a 6dB boost and better dynamic headroom... anything else?

juboy, Feb 13, 2004
  7. juboy

Gustavo

I've been using balanced for two month, after many, many test between two worlds I have my thoughts.
    Balanced:
    -Less cable influence, you can use a good or a very good cable with almost no noticeable change in the overall sound (just my experience).
    -More signal to noise ratio.
    -More dynamic sound.
    -Balanced shows all the CDs pros and cons, some loss in warm.

Unbalanced:
    -Incredible cable influence in the way the system sounds (nothing new at all).
    -More warm and sweet sound, less bright sound for some records(cable dependent).
    -You can match your equipment sound very easily, just try some different cables and that's it.

I'm using a creek CD53 cd player with a NAD S300 integrated amplifier with audioquest python balanced and Ecosse Maestro unbalanced. Also I tried with ordinary inexpensive balanced, python unbalanced and audioquest Diamondbacks.

Many greetings from Chile.

Gustavo Villa

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2004
    Gustavo, Feb 15, 2004
Ask a Question