Bargain Alert - Mains cable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tim F, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Tim F

Tim F

Hi All,

Thought this was worth mentioning...

Found some mains cables that are almost exactly the same as PS-Audio's £75 cable. "SCSI Bobs" is the company and you can find them on ebay for £20.

Good stuff..

Hey WM (Tony) noticed your OmigaAudio are running power cables on their site. £425 for a 2 metre mains lead.... got any more info?

Tim

Tim F, Aug 27, 2004
  2. Tim F

mr cat Member of the month

hmmm...can't find them, can you supply a url..?

cheers

mr cat, Aug 27, 2004
  3. Tim F

BL21DE3 aka 'Lucky'

BL21DE3, Aug 27, 2004
  4. Tim F

cheers...will take a look now!

mr cat, Aug 27, 2004
  5. Tim F

Will The Lucky One

I saw these a while back on ebay, along with a few other cables the bloke makes, and whilst I was impressed with the way they looked from the photos and the materials he states that they use, as with most 'home made' efforts I was slightly wary of how good they actually are, for whilst almost always cheaper than say black rhodium, merlin, trichord, eupen etc, such 'home made' offerings don't have any user base of people on some forum saying 'I have these and they're quite good', and as such are perhaps less appealing as you never know for sure if they're any good (not that thats guaranteed with branded stuff, but you feel more assured buying something thats established and well used by other people :)).

I'll be after a couple of mains leads fairly soon though, one for the DAC and one to be fitted to the amp (either get somebody to IEC mod my amp, or get a tv repair man to solder a new cable in place of the stock one) so if these are good, then I suppose they're worth a punt since I really don't want to spend lots :)

Will, Aug 27, 2004
  6. Tim F

I've e-mailed him asking about jumper cables...he says that he'll get back to me when the design is finalised and that he's working on a 'ridiculously high spec speaker cable similar to kimber's 8TC '

could be interesting...oh, he also uses 'furutech' spades too...don't know much about them tho...

mr cat, Aug 27, 2004
  7. Tim F

BlueMax

BlueMax, Aug 27, 2004
  8. Tim F

GaryG

Tim

I would suggest you pay a visit to WM's gaff and have a listen to his power cables and power conditioner(s). Don't forget to take a blind-fold so that you can do the obligatory 'close your eyes, count to 100 and spin round 3 times stuff' so that it's a fair test when you compare to standard cables. ;)

Regards
    Gary

GaryG, Aug 28, 2004
  9. Tim F

PumaMan

They are part of or used to be called Furukawa. They are a huge Japanese firm that does allsorts of cables for industry. They used to do great hifi cables using PCOCC copper (I still use a set today). A quality firm.

PumaMan, Aug 28, 2004
  10. Tim F

Matt F

Couldn't resist that 6-gang in the end - specs look good, great price and I needed one anyway.

Matt.

Matt F, Aug 29, 2004
  11. Tim F

jimmymcfarrell Anyone fancy a pint?

Just kitted my system(s) out with interconnects from SCSI Bobs, because I needed some strange Din leads made up, and he was the cheapest I could find using decent cable. Cost me a ton for everything and the phono - phono I got for my CDP (£12) sounds better than a QED Qudos I borrowed off a friend - which has therefore got to be quite a good buy if on a budget like me!!

jimmymcfarrell, Aug 30, 2004
  12. Tim F

lordsummit moderate mod

Have bought some power leads and some interconnects as the quality looks good. I'm crap with a soldering iron, and I really need to improve the quality of my phono to dins. Maplins are ok, but not really good enough

lordsummit, Aug 30, 2004
  13. Tim F

lordsummit moderate mod

Definitely recomended. Cables seem to work, system is much quieter, and bullet plugs to din leads are excellent, much better than other alternatives for the price.
    Took a while to arrive but that was Parcelfarces fault. They were posted within 4 days of order.

lordsummit, Sep 18, 2004
  14. Tim F

Hodgesaargh

This guy is cool! He does a set of 6 solid oak cones starting bid 99p. Will anyone buy from Russ ever again?

Hodgesaargh, Sep 18, 2004
  15. Tim F

lordsummit moderate mod

I'm not sure but I think he used to frequent the forums. I seem to remember a scsi-bob somewhere on the way.
    Hadn't see the oak feet

lordsummit, Sep 19, 2004
  16. Tim F

BlueMax

BlueMax, Sep 19, 2004
  17. Tim F

Hodgesaargh

:D

Hodgesaargh, Sep 19, 2004
Ask a Question