Bargain Basement second hand system

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by PBirkett, Jan 3, 2006.

1. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Given the cost of most of your systems on here, I am not expecting this to be a popular thread, but here goes....

Eventually I am tempted to resurrect my hifi career in the next few months, and just wondering if you lot have anything you can recommend me that is nice and CHEAP :p

It'll be used in a bedroom roughly measuring 4 x 3.5 meters, and will be used mainly for trance music, but a bit of everything really.

I value a fun sound over anything else, something that keeps your interest. Speakers that work close to walls and at low volumes are highly desired. An added bonus would be if they are magnetically shielded as they will be used *fairly* close to a CRT television.

I used to have a Rotel RA-01 and some Rega Ela's, and I liked those but would not mind trying something different.

I only really need an amp and speakers at present, as the source will be my PC, until I decide what I want to do properly.

Ampwise, I am tempted to try the Creek 4040. Speakerwise, the Mission 760i seems to look alright.... but naturally if anyone has any other suggestions, then I'll be happy to hear them.

PBirkett, Jan 3, 2006
  2. PBirkett

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

It depends how cheap you want to go, my sister has an ancient car boot Pioneer amp from 1981. It delivers 70w per channel into 8 ohms so as you can imagine it produces a very very punchy sound with a very tight bass.

It was given to me before it went into a skip :).

Of course it probably will need recapping one day so amps of this antique are a bit of a risk. If you do come across somthing like this they may be well suited until you can afford somthing better.

amazingtrade, Jan 3, 2006
  3. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

AT, it wont get used constantly, so really, I'm looking at about 50 quid for amp, 50 quid for speakers, there or thereabouts. Its just not worth me spending big bucks on something that will get used a few hours a week.

PBirkett, Jan 3, 2006
  4. PBirkett

Somthing like that would be fine then, its a great amp and delivers a really punchy sound. I can't see them being worth more than £20 as its a silver 80's thing.

What about a Denon 255UK or the Cambridge A5? They both deliver a good punchy sound for the money. They may be slightly over your budget even second hand though. The Denon also lacked a tad power but I mate had the JPW 510 and Denon 255UK combination and it sounded great.

5. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Not sure about Pioneer's AT, my mate has the A400, and to be frank, I dont rate it - very bright and lacking bass, and a metallic sound. That one was supposed to be one of Pioneer's best as well!

PBirkett, Jan 3, 2006
  6. PBirkett

maddog 2

I run a Pioneer A400X and Mordaunt Short MS10i's in the kitchen, which I picked up for £50 and £30 respectively. They sound pretty good IMO. Nice warm sound, never bright or tiring.

In a similar vein I've got some Kef Coda 7 speakers and NAD 7125 receiver in the garage which is also pretty laid back for about the same kind of money. Not as punchy as the kitchen setup but pretty good a low levels and acoustic stuff.

maddog 2, Jan 3, 2006
  7. PBirkett

This is 15 years earlier so I am not sure. To be honest I have not rigged the amp up to decent speakers.

Certainly the HIFI press have never seem to have rated the 400 saying the same as you. They ran in class A mode as well didn't they which means they could get very hot.

I was just using the Pioneer of an example that if you look in unusual places you may pick up a bargain. The key to it is avoid the classics as they go for studid money, a NAD 3020 can fetch at least £80 on ebay for example.

8. PBirkett

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

9. PBirkett

blogger

blogger, Jan 3, 2006
  10. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

PBirkett, Jan 3, 2006
  11. PBirkett

yeah..

a friend had the 609's, I had the bigger 628's which are floorstanding and have an 8" woofer aswell as the dual concentric. These would be out of budget, and maybe a bit big for a bedroom.

I've heard the rotel amp, and have a similar one on my PC. I rate these budget rotel amps. They are pretty decent.

bottleneck, Jan 3, 2006
  12. PBirkett

hifikrazy

628s? Think they were surrounds. Ive got the 611s which are fantastic (which i think are the model you refer to). Ive also had the 609s which i sold due to space (to EoS for a song). Great speakers all the Sixes and miles better than the missions. (Mind you i wouldnt get those ones off ebay, the seller might be a bit dodge as he wont accept cash and collection wants paying by ebay first).

Ive got a technics SU-A900 MKII which i picked up for 50 quid which is superb. I agree that the Rotel budget amps are a good buy. There are plenty of other amps as well if you keep your eyes skinned.

An alternative might be to keep your eye out for a slightly faulty UD-M31 (or similar - onkyo etc make similar) ie one with the amp working but cd section bust. The have an aux input and ive seen some go for stupid money and these often have a fun sound and would allow more for a nice pair of speakers -just an idea. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2006
    hifikrazy, Jan 3, 2006
  13. PBirkett

technobear Ursine Audiophile

technobear, Jan 3, 2006
  14. PBirkett

bottleneck, Jan 3, 2006
  15. PBirkett

hifikrazy

Yep thats what ive got - although i dont think they are supposed to be on stands like that (although they look genuine sixes stand, just look stupid) - at least thats not the stands they were sold with in this country - mine have the proper base plinth thing which makes them slightly more stable and perhaps more balanced looking. Personally i love em.

hifikrazy, Jan 3, 2006
  16. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

So really, it should be easy to pick up a decent cheap amp... stick with Rotel or Creek seems to be the advice I am picking up the most.

That just leaves speakers, those Tannoy's look nice, although they are £40 postage and as you say, might be a bit dodgy. Any more suggestions? Keep em coming.

PBirkett, Jan 3, 2006
  17. PBirkett

bottleneck, Jan 3, 2006
  18. PBirkett

hifikrazy

hifikrazy, Jan 3, 2006
  19. PBirkett

Commited

How about a t-amp from ebay for about £30 incl delivery: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SONIC-IMPACT-...5847067756QQcategoryZ3280QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Or, if you a little more adventurous: http://diyparadise.com/charlize.html about £57 incl Delivery!

I am listening to a t-amp right now and it really is all it's cracked up to be!

The only downside is that they need fairly sensitive speakers, minimum 88dB, works well with 90dB speakers though.

Speakers:
    Very subjective - there are a huge amount of choices here. I wouldnt buy any second hand without testing them as some people "rag" their speakers.
    These look worth a listen: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Good-Pair-MON...846164405QQcategoryZ14993QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/B-W-DM602-hi-...848072194QQcategoryZ14991QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BW-601-SE2-Speakers_W0QQitemZ5848062157QQcategoryZ14991QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you decide to add a CDP (which you should :D )
    DIY Paradise do an excellent DAC for ~£100 including buying a box for it. Then any reasonable second hand CDP can act as a transport and there are alot of them on ebay that go for less than £30.

Commited, Jan 3, 2006
  20. PBirkett

hifikrazy

hifikrazy, Jan 3, 2006
Ask a Question