Bargain basement second system

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by batters2, Mar 15, 2007.

1. batters2

batters2

First post here, have posted this elsewhere but got few replies.

Due to an impending kitchen dining extension, I'm looking for a very cheap second system to go in it - like £200-300 cheap (as the extension cost may mean I don't eat again for a while...). The question is, do I buy cheapish new stuff or secondhand - or maybe a mixture? I only want an amp/speakers/CD player. I've read the £500 thread on this site from a few years back, but I guess things have changed.

Elseshere, for reference, I have an Arcam Alpha 5/Audiolab 8000A/Mission 751s which have given sterling service for many years.

Sort of options considered:

1. Mirror the existing system from eBay - looks like I could just about do this within budget.
    2. Go for secondhand but with a cheaper amp/CD.
    3. Cambridge Audio Amp/CD player + ?? speakers all new
    4. Some combination of the above

Extension will be approx 4m by 5m. Music tastes rock/blues/folk.

Any and all comments welcome.

batters2, Mar 15, 2007
  2. batters2

felix part-time Horta

Starter for ten: Rega Planet mk1, the matching Rega Brio, Mordant Short MS10i's. Should come in budget, and will certainly engage you...

felix, Mar 15, 2007
  3. batters2

Tenson Moderator

Second hand pair of Behringer B2031A active studio monitors found on Sound on Sound website:

Behringer B2031A Excellent condition, less than 100 hours use.
    £120. Phone David 07818258694 (Cardiff, South Glamorgan) 14/03/07

Shanling CD-T80 or SCD-S300 tube (for a bit of warmth and boogie) CD / SACD player with built-in preamp:

Around £200 imported I expect, maybe a little more. Can be bought from Cattylink.com You might also find it on eBay but I have dealt with Cattylink and they are great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alternatively you could get a Rega Planet CD player like Felix suggested and a simple but effective volume control in a box. But at least get the active speakers, they are a true bargain and will probably sound better than your main system.

Tenson, Mar 15, 2007
  4. batters2

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i wanted a 2nd system for office / bedroom duties went a bit off the wall and got a b&o system for 77 quid off e-bay. paired with a pair of tiny sealed eltax speakers i got off a mate for nothing and an old squeezebox1 it sounds really good and looks the bollocks too.

julian2002, Mar 15, 2007
  5. batters2

Andy registered grazer

I may get flamed here, but...
    Denon DM31 micro system(now dirt cheap and supposed to be very nice sounding) partnered with a good set of speakers-maybe 2nd hand Monitor Audio/Kef/Epos/Acoustic Energy etc.
    Easy on the eye and won't take up much room, and should sound better than you'd think.

Andy, Mar 15, 2007
  6. batters2

Neil

I'd be tempted to go for a small footprint given kitchen / dining area - I guess "serious listening "will be done on the main system. I like Simon's idea of the cative speakers - wall mount on stout bracket thingies. The Shanling is a big box but would satisfy soundwise (If you'd like a CD-S100 Mk2 I've one for sale - excellent condition but a couple of small knocks on top of the faceplate, yours for £180 ;-) ). I do like the idea of a good (ie denon / Teac 500 series) small system - maybe even.....brace for incoming.......a Russ Andrews Rave Amp + speakers fed from ipod or portable CD.

Neil, Mar 15, 2007
  7. batters2

lordsummit moderate mod

The Teac thing that was in hi-fi world after christmas is a good thing. £180, NXT speakers and sounds lovely if you don't want to shake the floor. I'd have one.

lordsummit, Mar 15, 2007
  8. batters2

andyoz

I definitely second the active speakers idea.

There seem to be more and more models appearing on the market all the time. Some look more "domestic" than others though.

andyoz, Mar 15, 2007
  9. batters2

Tenson Moderator

Ok, buy Neil’s CD player, those active speakers and you will be blown away ;)

I think I had one of those CD-S100's (it looks like it!) and it sounded very good. Was torn between that and my Arcam Alpha 9. I liked the Alpha 9 more but the Shanling was warmer and the idea of selling the preamp was tempting.

Tenson, Mar 15, 2007
  10. batters2

Tom

I never cease recommending the Cyrus One - compact and sounds exciting. As a secondhand buy I don't think it can be beaten for the money. Yours for £70 on eBay.

Tom, Mar 15, 2007
  11. batters2

smegger68

I have some old active Wharfedale Diamonds if you're interested? Yours for £50 + Postage.

smegger68, Mar 17, 2007
  12. batters2

stevehi-fi stevehi-fi

Marantz CD600oseLE & PM6010ose (champagne gold)? Includes interconnects. PM if interested

stevehi-fi, Mar 17, 2007
Ask a Question