BAT VK-300x Integrated: anyone had a listen?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by skp574, May 21, 2004.

1. skp574

skp574

Has anyone listened to the BAT VK-300x integrated in one of its many guises?

Looking to draw up a short list of integrateds to have a listen to.

Currently have a Krell KAV-400xi and looking for something a little different.

Is there anything else worth considering? Valve/SS based.

I have an AR CD3MKII CDP and a pair of B&W805sigs. I am tempted to change these to a pair of WB Arcs though-better bass and lower listening levels.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

skp574, May 21, 2004
  2. skp574

Sgt Rock

Sgt Rock, May 21, 2004
  3. skp574

julian2002 Muper Soderator

why not the ar integrated - i've heard one of the older ones and it sounds very very good to me. possibly the sim moon i5 or the gryphon integrated (forget the name). there's also the belcanto integrated based on the tripath digital amp module which can also kick arse too.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, May 21, 2004
  4. skp574

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Callisto 2200 :)

technobear, May 21, 2004
  5. skp574

ANOpax ESL-Meister

A little while ago, I started the hunt for amps to drive my 989s.

I auditioned the BAT VK-300x SE (using Burmester 6 cdp) which had great bass but a glassy treble. The dealer was surprised by my comments but switched me to a VK-3i/VK-250 setup. The treble glassiness was gone but bass was woolly and ill defined (a trait of the VK-3i apparently). Moved to Hovland HP-100/VK-250 and the bass problem was cured. The dealer suggested trying the Radia with the HP-100 so I gave it a go. Marginally better than the VK-250, but not worth the 2.5-3K price difference.

It all sounded great in a round earth sense but I was struggling to get much PRaT out of the system. I don't know if the CDP was at fault or if the Yank amps simply major too much on air, space and inky blackness!

In conclusion, for my money and my ears, I wouldn't get the VK-300x SE. However, the dealer thought my criticisms of the amp a bit unusual so for your room/speakers/source etc, it might be appropriate.

reg

ANOpax, May 21, 2004
  6. skp574

yogus

mmmmmm

Heard one of those into ATC SCM35s.. *yum*

pricey amps though.

yogus, May 21, 2004
  7. skp574

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Skip, I'm surprised you wish to change so soon :confused: You've only just bought the Krell, and I'm sure you were over the moon about it then?.
    I would second the suggestion for the Belcanto and the Graphon 2200, having owned one it's cracking amp, a sort of european Krell, with life :) stunning build, big bugger though, a used one appeared on Hifi for sale 6 weeks or so ago for £2400?.
    The Belcanto evo 2i, is another cracking amp, don't let the power rating concern you, it grips the drivers in a way only the very big krells can, but with bags of life and musicality.

wadia-miester, May 21, 2004
  8. skp574

Would that be Mr Air & Space from the south east BTW ? :D

wadia-miester, May 21, 2004
  9. skp574

ANOpax ESL-Meister

The very same ;)

ANOpax, May 21, 2004
  10. skp574

skp574

When I get time, I will probably have a good home demo of the WB Arcs. When I demoed the Krell and the AR they were paired with the Arcs and they sounded fantastic.

Hifi can be like cars to me. If I see something I am already thinking of changing- I had an Audi TT for 4 months before part-ex'ing it for something different.

I do like my B&Ws but would like to try changing the amplification first then if that doesn't work then tinker with the speakers.

I am sure there is a method in my madness somewhere in there!

skp574, May 22, 2004
  11. skp574

skp574

Which one the Belcanto or the Graphon?

skp574, May 22, 2004
  12. skp574

Skip, you admit to owning a TT:D still maybe we can help with the hifi.
    The Gryphon Callisto (intergrated) I owned for a few months, nice piece of kit, the Belcanto can more than match it in the bass, but unlike Krell, its tuneful, deeper and times spot on.
    I have no need for an intergrated, so I use the bigger power amp bridged straight from the cdp.
    Another worth considering is the Bow, like AnalogueKid uses, the pre & power (Warlock & Walrus) arn't bad at all, if you can't find a used Callisto, then try these, they are along the same lines, both lots are Danish, excellent build and great sound. Wm

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2004
    wadia-miester, May 22, 2004
  13. skp574

julian2002 Muper Soderator

there's also a bow integrated amp the wazzoo or something or the zz-1 whcih is a bit older but looks killer. i heard the wazzoo at heathrow last year into zingali speakers and it was dynamic as hell, a bit 'crisp' in the trebble but it was sounding very very good indeed.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, May 22, 2004
  14. skp574

Robbo

As you have an Audio Research CDP, why not try it with an Audio Research tube amp?

Robbo, May 22, 2004
  15. skp574

analoguekid Planet Rush

The wazoo and zz one don't have the grip of the walrus, sounds same at any volume just louder and no hardening, the wazzoo also doesn't have quite the same soundstaging as the warlock alyhough the zz one comes closer, have heard that the wazoo can run out of steam into difficult loads and would be better with the xl version, the zoingalis have a horn treble and the bass is notheing like as fast IMO The Zingalis need a big room to let the treble breath the horn loaded treble can sound a little bright with the wrong music, I also tried the Bow with FB1's and at high volumes treble could sound a bit harsh, however with the ART expressions Treble is a delight lots of deatil and space with no harshness at any volume, and bags of detail, just be carefull with the speaker matching, Bow design their kit to have a more valve like sound and it is very neutral across the range no colouration AFAICT, so match with neutral speakers? The Bow stuff is not that well known and if you can find one they usually go for about half price, Having heard the gryphon integrated I can also reccomenfd you shortlist one, Bow PRe/Power did it for me but you may prefer Gryph or BC, have fun deciding but these three (well I haven't heard BC) are way more musical than the krell IMHO.

analoguekid, May 22, 2004
  16. skp574

skp574

I have considered the AR integrated (VSi55) but it doesn't have a balanced input. I am currently using the balanced outputs from the CDP and don't really want to invest in a new IC.

Therefore, I am really looking for an integrated with at least one balanced input.

I have looked at the websites of Bel Canto, Gryphon and of course BAT. These seem to be the next step from the Krell, only my ears will tell.

Anybody know of a friendly dealer in the south east do they????

skp574, May 23, 2004
  17. skp574

analoguekid Planet Rush

Have a look at the Bow website http://www.bowtechnologies.com/

The wazoo xl has one balanced and the rest s/e not sure about the zz-one but ZZ-8 cdp all S/E the Warlock pre has Five inputs 4 balanced/se, one s/e and tape loop, 2 balanced and s/e out,.

read stereophile review of wazzoo, it is quite long tho'

From the website there are a number of dealers in Engerlaaaannnd but not knowing the geography that well it's best to look for yourself. (various branches of audio T for example) they also have a couple of good reviews of Wazoo. You should give it an audition sound is sublime, of course you may think it is shite. The pre power combo is hard to better but I understand you are after an integrated.

happy hunting.

paul

analoguekid, May 23, 2004
  18. skp574

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

When trying to think of high quality valve kit with balanced inputs, EAR came to mind.

I'd certainly be checking them out if I wanted a balanced system with valves in mind.

Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, May 23, 2004
  19. skp574

merlin

I'll add the McIntosh integrateds to the mix.

Balanced inputs, valves if required, and guaranteed to put a smile on your face:D

In case you decide to continue with the baby B&W's, you may be interested to know that Classe will soon be launching a killer integrated around the £3K mark. Given that much of the voicing and R&D was, as with the CDP10, done in house at B&W, the two may well mate very well indeed. Plus it's got the new touch panel controls:D

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2004
    merlin, May 23, 2004
  20. skp574

skp574

If anyone sees a 2nd hand Gryphon Callisto 2200 on their travels you couldn't let me know. Have seen a 2100 at Hifi for sale but would like to try the 2200.

Cheers guys.

skp574, May 26, 2004
Ask a Question