BAT VKD5SE vs AR CD3MKII

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by skp574, May 26, 2004.

1. skp574

skp574

Has anyone heard the BAT VKD5SE CDP?

I am thinking of swapping my AR CD3MKII over. I really need a front loading CDP (space constraints in new house would you believe it!?!?!)

I have the chance of swapping over at mininal cost (if any). Is it worth it?

I am still on the hunt for an integrated as well by the way see other thread. Have shortlisted the Gyphon Callisto, Bel Canto Evo2i and possibly the BAT VK-300x.

skp574, May 26, 2004
  2. skp574

julian2002 Muper Soderator

on purely anecdotal experience the cd3 is - wahey and the bat is mneh. so i'd struggle to keep the ar if at all possible.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, May 26, 2004
  3. skp574

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

The Bat has more :zzzz: appeal than a madagasgen festering bong toad, stick with the AR, else try an AA Capitol MKII :)

wadia-miester, May 27, 2004
  4. skp574

ANOpax ESL-Meister

Now, Tony, there's a recommendation I never thought I'd hear you make. Especially after you (or was it GrahamN?) had that poor soul trading in his AACapitoleMK2 for a Wadia after he found out what he was missing...

reg

ANOpax, May 27, 2004
  5. skp574

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Reg,

Don't you know I'm being a more understanding type of guy these days :eek: , I feel the AA MKII is more is keeping with the CD3 but better in the vital mid band, its very close to an analogue sound you'll find in a stock player, valve output stage and analogue vol control.
    Having had the chance to do an a/b (sussshh don't tell :D ), I can confirm the AA is not for me, but none the less a quality player, that deserves consideration.
    Twas indeed Graham N making the said person weep a while back, thing is he now owns an opus 21, you go figure?
    Any news on the amp front yet Reg?

wadia-miester, May 27, 2004
  6. skp574

Lawrie

Keepin' it real, right here in Lawrieville.
    Scott,

I would not swap an AR CD3 MkII for a BAT regardless of the fact that the BAT has tubes in it. IMO, the CD3 MKII is the better player both rythmically and musically (if that makes sense:D). The two BATs that I've heard not only sounded dark but also had a low level hum which although it did not intrude on the music, I felt that at the price, it shouldn't have been there. Perhaps tube rolling will change the presentation a bit.

Therefore, I second the recommendation for the AA Capitole MkII which I heard about two weeks ago, albeit a modified version. It was very good although I don't know how the stock version compares to it. However like you, I don't have the space for a top loader as my turtable occupies the top shelf and I loathe the idea of going out to get a new rack just because of a top-loader so it's front-loaders only for me. Anyway, the AA Prima Mk II DAC, which is exactly the same DAC as in the Capitole MkII should be with me for testing in a few weeks time. Might be worth a try with a cheaper transport but again if space is an issue for you, then ……………... ;)

ANOpax - a couple of my clients in the U.S. actually traded in their Wadias for the AA Capitole MkII after they found out what they were missing;) and as far as I know, they still have their Capitole players. A case of different strokes .................. perhaps?:D

Enjoy the music,

Lawrie.:D

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2004
    Lawrie, May 27, 2004
Ask a Question