BBC : Horizon - Time Shift

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by voodoo, Dec 20, 2003.

1. voodoo

voodoo OdD

Just wonderng if anybody caught this rather interesting documetary on BBC2 the other night ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2003/timetrip.shtml

Basically, they explored each 'viable' scientific method of time travel.
    In the end they came to the conclusion that the simplest method of time travel could be via computers. Given the advances in computer processing power it should be possible for computers in the future to be so fast that they can calculate an INFINITE number of calculations. If this was possible they could create and entire virtual realty of the past and possibly the future.

Then it all became a little scary :MILD: !
    They reckoned that it was more likely (based on mathematical probability) for this to have actually happend and that we are actually living out a program. A bit of a cross between the Matrix and a Star Trek Holo-deck.

Overall, a rather enjoyable waste of an hour.

voodoo, Dec 20, 2003
  2. voodoo

MO! MOnkey`ead!

yOur the One vOOdOO!!!

break free!

yOu knOw the truth!

they'll be after yOu nOw that they think yOu're OntO them!

take the green pill!!!!![/B][/QUOTE]

MO!, Dec 21, 2003
  3. voodoo

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

I had to turn it off when that guy stuck that coil of lead round his head and attempted to travel through time.

I always think Horizon is a bit over the top, big build ups and tense music, all for speculation and no facts.

garyi, Dec 21, 2003
  4. voodoo

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Garyi, they're not as far away as you think :eek: I've been up and down the temperal times lines, for many a reverse paradox , time does don't have a disernable start or end as you humans understand it, merely a road that is travelled, one day this speices will gather enough knowledge to preform this small task, in the mean time, I watch on with quite amusment :)

wadia-miester, Dec 21, 2003
  5. voodoo

julian2002 Muper Soderator

horizon has nosedived from since when i was a lad. the last one i watched was about the old what if an asteroid was to hit the earth chestnut. they said all they had to say in the first 15 minutes the remainder of the programme was spent reitterating the very simplistic explainations, making some boffins look spoddier than they really were and showing the same cgi of an asteroid impact with cheezy sinister music another 1500 times. it was science tv for the sun reader, i could actually feel my IQ dropping as i watched it.
    i was tempted to watch the time travel thing but when i saw they were letting the loonies get their say and cashing in on matrixism with the pathetic attempt to equate time travel with simulation i decided to pick my nose until my head caved in instead.
    i think next weeks programme is about how the orgone accumulator is going to revolutionise transport by replacing the internal combustion engine with blow jobs.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Dec 21, 2003
  6. voodoo

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

no need to watch that,hawkwind explaned it very well on space rituall

I've got an orgone accumulator
    It makes me feel greater
    I'll see you sometime later
    When I'm through with my accumulator

It's no social integrator
    It's a one man isolator
    It's a back brain stimulator
    It's a cerebral vibrator

Those energy stimulators
    Just turn your eyeballs into craters
    But an orgone accumulator
    Is a superman creator

It's no social integrator
    It's a one man isolator
    It's a back brain stimulator
    It's a cerebral vibrator

I've got an orgone accumulator
    And it makes me feel greater
    I'll see you sometime later
    When I'm through with my accumulator

themadhippy, Dec 21, 2003
  7. voodoo

julian2002 Muper Soderator

cool, how about a lemmy / gary numan collaboration as the team behind the new inventions theme song?
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Dec 21, 2003
  8. voodoo

voodoo OdD

He was absolutely HILARIOUS !

voodoo, Dec 21, 2003
  9. voodoo

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Indeed.

I guess Horizon were attempting to use him as an example of something.

In y personal opinion he had no place on an apparently scientific programme, it served only to make what was already stupid plain ludecrus.

As I say I don't think much of Horizon.

garyi, Dec 21, 2003
  10. voodoo

badchamp Thermionic Member

Must admit that I too think that Horizon isn't what it used to be but neither is the rest of TV! Bearing in mind that the theorietical basis of time travel is purely mathematical and that (having just read a "laymans" guide to quantum theory) applying a physical comparison to many of these rather abstract mathematical concepts is almost impossible for physicists let alone Joe Bloggs you cant expect too much. How would Horizon have approached the subject in the 70's or 80's anyway.

Was well gutted the other week though having carefully taped the C4 3 parter on String Theory to have taped over it. I anyone's got a copy I would be obliged if I could borrow it!

badchamp, Dec 22, 2003
  11. voodoo

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Well, that'd explain how a toy car I had changed colour overnight, how a bottle of orange appeared in a cupboard in our house when it was impossible for it to have, how Pop Idol can be popular, and how Labour managed to get in again...

Gaping holes in the main machine code if you ask me...

Incidentally - is it possible for a key to not work in a lock one minute (it just went round and round and round) to then work in it after removal and reinsertion? If not, than the Matrix is alive and well and we're all in it...

domfjbrown, Dec 23, 2003
  12. voodoo

Robert Edgar

This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

:MILD: ;)

Robert

Robert Edgar, Dec 23, 2003
  13. voodoo

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

<Withnail and I mode>Bollocks - I'll swallow both pills and run a mile! I could take DOUBLE anything you could take!

Very VERY unwise words man

He's right Withnail - look at him - his mechanism's gone; he's had more hot drugs than hot dinners!</Withnail and I mode>

domfjbrown, Dec 26, 2003
  14. voodoo

auric FOSS

All this talk of pills makes me wonder - is the the return of Free Willy? I had hoped we had seen the last of him.

Auric:)

auric, Dec 26, 2003
Ask a Question