BBV bake off

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by anon_bb, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

This thread is for the discussion of the arrangements for the "BBV versus the Funky WadiaMeister" bake off.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2006
    anon_bb, Aug 5, 2006
  2. anon_bb

Dev Moderator

Nick, that's not a bake off!!! Where are the valves?

Dev, Aug 5, 2006
  3. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

Tony,

I am out today so I planned to spend tomorrow (sunday) afternoon putting shielding braid on the transformer cables and removing the dc servos and adding blocking caps, so it isnt an option. I also need to get the crossovers (and DEQ) tweaked now I have added the xbds - currently the bass is set too high. I also plan to remove the tweeter grills - unfortunately Tenson isnt available tomorrow either.

What about during the week after I get back from shanghai? Or during the week after that? Can you bring some phono stages? ;)

Nick.

anon_bb, Aug 5, 2006
  4. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

You bring em... I'll sling em!

anon_bb, Aug 5, 2006
  5. anon_bb

KUB3 ciao

BBV, please count me in. I'd love to hear what my speakers big brothers can do. It would be good to meet Tension also, if he is coming. A quick on / off to see what a DEQ can do would be good too. Hopefuly it'll be a good few weeks notice as I'm in Milan next week :)

KUB3, Aug 5, 2006
  6. anon_bb

sideshowbob Trisha

What dates are these? I might be persuaded to bring my 47 Labs Phono Cube if your cartridge is appropriate, what's the output and impedence? Haven't seen Tony for a very long time, would be nice to catch up with him too.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Aug 5, 2006
  7. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

0.2 mv and 600 ohms - however I have a step up to MM level. It seems to work best that way.

Everyone plase post the dates they are available - I will be around any time after the 17th. I cant fit it in before shanghai - not with all the work to be done on the phono and the stepup and finishing up with my current job.

So thats Kub, Tenson, SSB, WM, rob?

anon_bb, Aug 5, 2006
  8. anon_bb

KUB3 ciao

After August 18th is good...

KUB3, Aug 5, 2006
  9. anon_bb

Tenson Moderator

Clearly stated in order of importance there ;)

I'm fine for most dates so I'll just see what day it lands on for everyone else.

Nick, Ya-Boo would like to come along as well if that’s alright? Assuming he can make the date. He is not that close.

Tenson, Aug 5, 2006
  10. anon_bb

sideshowbob Trisha

That'll work fine. No need for a stepup with the Phono Cube.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Aug 5, 2006
  11. anon_bb

JonR

Hi BBV any room for me? My current job finishes on the 18th so I'm pretty free after that. Am curious to hear whether a BLG can actually sound good!

JonR, Aug 5, 2006
  12. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

Maybe ... where and in what context did you hear it and what was wrong? ;)

anon_bb, Aug 5, 2006
  13. anon_bb

JonR

Ayre pre/power amps plus PX-5e phono stage, into Lumen floorstanding speakers. The sound was reasonably detailed but not very involving in the way that I know vinyl can be. Don't what cartridge was used, I'm guessing though that it was the EMT. Anyway, I'm sure you recall we have discussed this before... (in another place).

JonR, Aug 5, 2006
  14. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

Ah yes I remember - but were you able to pin that down to the deck? As I recall you were dissapointed with CD on that system too - pointing the finger to the amps or speakers.

anon_bb, Aug 5, 2006
  15. anon_bb

JonR

No - but listening to yours will I am sure enable me to do so. However if it's not possible then that's ok.

JonR, Aug 5, 2006
  16. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

You are welcome to come however I am not sure it will do that either! If you like the sound it means you like the whole system which is all well and good, however if you dislike it then it could be just one of the components that messes it up for you personally - without swapping components in and out it is impossible to say. So a negative result doesnt pin the blame on the deck if you see what I am saying. The components with most variability are speakers and this is the area of most personal taste.

anon_bb, Aug 5, 2006
  17. anon_bb

murray johnson

Hi Jon,

You must have listened to more quite serious systems than most people in recent weeks. I'll be very interested to read what you think of BBV's set up and approach to replaying music.

rgs,

Murray

murray johnson, Aug 5, 2006
  18. anon_bb

JonR

Hi Murray,

The BLG 'experience' was a couple of months ago. I do like to go and visit others to hear their systems, hence my frequent attendances at various bake-offs hosted by others (from other forums). BBV clearly has a very individual approach to system-buiding and like Tony (WM) I am curious, especially given his emphasis on vinyl replay and that his system features a Brinkmann turntable, my experience of which I found, in a different system, rather underwhelming, frankly.

If I do go then of course I will let you know what I think of it.

Rgds,

Jon

JonR, Aug 5, 2006
  19. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

If you listen to a complete system then you are passing judgement on the complete system. Obviously if you like my system via cd but not via vinyl then you might reasonably pin the blame on the BLG (well in combination with the phono stage and stepup). However if you dislike both then you cannot make the same statement - if you catch my drift.

I have attended numerous dems where swapping a single component made the difference betwee night and day. Even with the BLG and bryston PMC. Most notably at the walrus dem until they got the speakers right - and at a pmc / bryston dem until they got rid of the bryston preamp.

I suspect Mr Popecks priorities are very different to yours and the system he presented reflected that - which is why he said he doubted he could help you. It might have irrated you but in fact he was just trying to avoid wasting your time and his. I suspect I wouldnt have liked that system either. I like very few loudspeakers - which is to be expected given the massive variation observed between them in terms of ability and presentation. If you absolutely hate my pmc speakers, for instance, then nothing I play through them is going to please you regardless of how good the source is.

anon_bb, Aug 5, 2006
  20. anon_bb

JonR

I accept that, BBV, but just this once I am willing to take that chance!

JonR, Aug 5, 2006
Ask a Question