Beckham was crap

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lt Cdr Data, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

sack him as captain, he is not up to the job with his other interests, sooner the better.
    replace with Rio, at least he shows gall.
    thoughts?

Lt Cdr Data, Mar 28, 2005
  2. Lt Cdr Data

narabdela

Sack him as player too. Things started to happen on the right flank when Kieron Dyer came on.

narabdela, Mar 28, 2005
  3. Lt Cdr Data

Sid and Coke

Got to agree with you, an insiprational captain can be the making of any team, even better if he is a powerful towering individual who you wouldn't like to make angry (England Rugby, Martin Johnson springs to mind here :) ).
    Rio Ferdinand, John Terry, or perhaps Sol Campbell leading from the back would get my vote.

Joe Cole must have gone home a very happy Bunny , i thought he had a great game, looked really hungry for a slice of the pie all the way through.
    Due to wok commitments I've eneded up watching the match on video, in three sittings, over two days . Just finishing watching it 10 mins ago a great result.

Beckham is just pure celebrity now who happens to play football.....

Sid and Coke, Mar 28, 2005
  4. Lt Cdr Data

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Who gives a toss about Beckham?

ALL football is overgrown schoolboy stuff! (sorry guys - I just don't understand it. Why pay someone ££££ for doing sod all when doctors and firemen get paid squat for doing something GENUINELY useful??? ;))

domfjbrown, Mar 29, 2005
  5. Lt Cdr Data

julian2002 Muper Soderator

he was a fantastic player and a good england captain, his time is past now though. give the captaincy to someone hungrier for sure but don't take his past achievements away from him.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Mar 29, 2005
  6. Lt Cdr Data

Bob McC living the life of Riley

What achievements?

Bob

Bob McC, Mar 31, 2005
  7. Lt Cdr Data

Matt F

Terry for captain - the nearest thing to a Tony Adams we have. Campbell and Ferdinand may be quicker but if you need someone to throw his head in front of the ball when someone's about to kick it then Terry is your man. He also scores more goals than the other two put together.

The trouble is with Beckham as captain you can't really drop him whereas if Terry was captain and Beckham was having a bad game it would be easy to bring Wright-Phillips on.

Matt.

p.s. didn't think Beckham was too bad last night and took his goal well.

Matt F, Mar 31, 2005
  8. Lt Cdr Data

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

yeah I thought he had a good game, made plenty of chances.

if you want to get rid of someone, how about the chuckle brothers?

(the nevilles)

bottleneck, Mar 31, 2005
  9. Lt Cdr Data

Lord .

The John Terry fanclub!

John Terry for Captain - definitely.
    John Terry the blockmaster - definitely.
    John Terry to score at set pieces - definitely.
    But comparing John Terry to Tony 'offside salute'/'donkey' Adams? - No way!

John Terry can only really be called the new Bobby Moore. I hope that JT will earn that title after wearing red and the captain's armband against Germany in the 2006 final!

Lord, Mar 31, 2005
  10. Lt Cdr Data

GTM Resistance IS Futile !

Amen to that.

Although I enjoy a good game of international level footbal. I do think they are amazingly over paid and far too much importance is put on the game and it's players.

GTM

GTM, Apr 2, 2005
  11. Lt Cdr Data

ats

If you're offered £50,000 + a week for doing something you love you'd be mad not to take it!

There are many people that you can argue are far too overpaid for not doing a great deal that's 'worthwhile' to society, just take a look at the world's richest people list.

ats, Apr 2, 2005
  12. Lt Cdr Data

SCIDB Moderator

A lot of people would have loved to be paid to play football for a living. Because it is the world's number one sport, there is loads of money floating around. Football is good and useful for a lot of people.

As for their wages, that is between them and their employers. It's not Beckham's fault that clubs, sponsors, companies, etc are prepared to pay big money. Like him or not, he has some talent and people are prepared to pay for it.

As a DJ, I earn more than most people in this country for a few hours work. Why, because people are prepared to pay for my talents. If I ask for a fee, they can say yes or no. Doctors and firemen can do the same and ask for more money. Whether they get it is another matter.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Apr 2, 2005
  13. Lt Cdr Data

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Beckham should certainly retire from the captaincy of England - just as soon as he's lifted the World Cup for us in Germany.

Form is temporary; class is permanent.

7_V, Apr 2, 2005
  14. Lt Cdr Data

Dev Moderator

How long is temporary? We may be talking months/years with Beckham.

Dev, Apr 2, 2005
  15. Lt Cdr Data

I take it you missed the last England game. :rolleyes:

7_V, Apr 3, 2005
  16. Lt Cdr Data

Dev Moderator

What did I miss (with regards to Beckham)?

I think he's had a very good run, but now I wouldn't keep him as a captain and in some past games that I saw, I wouldn't have kept him as a player either. In my view past record shouldn't guarantee a place in the team. It's the present form that counts and we should always remember that the team is greater than any single player.

Dev, Apr 3, 2005
  17. Lt Cdr Data

Of course I'm in complete agreement with the statements above but there's no question of Beckham being in the side on anything other than his current influence.

There have been many players that hit a run of form followed by a mass clamouring for their inclusion in the team. However, success is the England team is not so easy to achieve and usually these players turn out to be dismal failures once they put on the England shirt. I'm sure we can all think of a number of examples.

There are currently a number of players who can lay claim to Beckham's place in the team. Sean Wright Phillips, Dyer or Downing (with some rearrangement) all come to mind. Wright Phillips and Dyer have never shown that they can do it for England and it's still too early for Downing. My view is that Wright Phillips and Downing are both future England players. Dyer should stay on the subs' bench (for his footballing skill - temperamentally I wouldn't allow him in the stadium).

No player goes forever and Beckham's reign will pass. Not yet however. For him to go now would only serve to disrupt the side and to unsettle the other players.

7_V, Apr 3, 2005
Ask a Question