Beckham!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MO!, Oct 12, 2003.

1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Just managed to catch his *penalty* before leaving for work yesterday, and have seen it again on sky sports news from many angles in super dooper slow MOtion just now.

LMAO!!!

Been doing too many of them adverts where he does the rugby style conversions!

Was about out of order the way some of the Turkish team hounded him after though.

MO!, Oct 12, 2003
  2. MO!

michaelab desafinado

Come on - the guy is only human, everyone's going to miss at least one penalty. I didn't see it (I was busy doing some hifi gear comparisons at António's) but at least England did what they needed to.

In any case, penalties are 90% mental and 10% skill. I guess that not even being on target must be a bit more embarassing than getting it saved by the goalie. Stuart Pearce Italia 90 anyone? I think he must have set a new altitude record for a football that night :D

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 13, 2003
  3. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Michael! Wait till you see it! You will see it! There will be dedicated videos and tv shows about this one! LMAO! The DVD with multiple angle viewing options!

It was BAD! Possibly the worst penalty ever! I'd be interested to know the hight the ball was at when crossing the goal line. The top bar of a goal must be about 3m, at a guess he managed 10m!

Not saying i'd have done better with that kind of atMOsphere, and pressure.

Pearce came back to score a rather tasty penalty for them in euro 96. It may well take Beckham another 6 years to get over that one!

wait till you see it mate!

Play off draw toMOrow! Hope Scotland and Wales avoid some of the very dangerous teams in there!......

MO!, Oct 13, 2003
  4. MO!

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

It has to rank as the funniest penalty ever, he fell flat on his arse! Top stuff, this is the What Happened Next? question on Question of Sport for about 5 years from now.

The commentators were blaming it partly on the footwear, apparently they have blades rather than studs these days? You'd think on his money he could afford something that would keep him upright on the pitch. That said, the angle he leans over at when he strikes the ball, this has been waiting to happen for a while now.

Still, we're through. Now the only thing we have to worry about is whether we'll have a manager, and whether the fans will behave in the Portugese sunshine...

ilockyer, Oct 13, 2003
  5. MO!

michaelab desafinado

Not to mention the vast quantities of cheap and readily available alcohol there is over here. We even have vending machines that sell beer cans ffs! I hope the do something about that. I think the local police here are already getting tips on hooligan control from the UK police.

A bunch of hooligans all tanked up getting angry in the small and maze like streets of the Bairro Alto (the central night-life area in Lisbon) doesn't bear thinking about :cry:

I've got tickets for 2 of the games - a group game and a quarter final. Obviously don't know who'll be playing yet but should be good.

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 13, 2003
  6. MO!

Robert Edgar

Well I don't think it will be Scotland Michael..:cry:
    we seem to have been drawn against Holland in the play-offs
    Oh well never mind at least the games Against Holland should be good.
    We seem to play better against class teams....:D

Robert

Robert Edgar, Oct 13, 2003
  7. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

oh well if you're gonna do it, might aswell do it right hey?

Just seen the play off draw. We've got Holland, and Wales have Russia!

Easy :D

MO!, Oct 13, 2003
  8. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Good timing :D

The last time I seen Hampden full of the dutch was when rangers (under now holland manager Dick Advokat) played there a little wihle back. Being the nice people they are, they decided to pay tribute to their dutch contingent by turning out in Dutch Orange! Howe very nice of them eh? No bigotry intended of course!

Should be a good game. There's been a bit of trouble in domestic games over there IIRC with police firing into the crowd or something not too long ago :eek: But, if security isn't too OTT should see a good non segregated mixed crowd game.

Just hope they don't take it too bad when we batter them :D

MO!, Oct 13, 2003
  9. MO!

sideshowbob Trisha

You Scots will batter anything. First Mars bars, now Dutchmen.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Oct 13, 2003
  10. MO!

Robert Edgar

posted at the same time MO :MILD:

batter them as long as there not to crispy
    Lmao sideshowbob
    have you never tried a deep fried mars bar....mmmmmm

Robert

Robert Edgar, Oct 13, 2003
  11. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

did you Nigella Lawson on the Wonafun Woss show?

Battered Bounties! hmmmmmm :D

MO!, Oct 13, 2003
Ask a Question